Coopers Community

Yeast starter

Sirkillalot

My upcoming brew is going to be the Light German Bock as outlined on the Coopers recipe list.

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/light-german-bock

I'm relatively new to brewing and the instructions it recommends making a yeast starter because of the high alcohol content. I've never made on before and looked up how to make one on the web. Pretty straight forward though. My question is after about 5 days, this thing stinks in the ice tea jar I'm making it in. I was just wondering what it's suppose to smell like anyway seeing as I've never made one before. I'm worried about infection and don't want to mix it with the two cans of Heritage Lager I have if it's going to ruin them.

It smells like really cheap, high alcohol content beer. Like Steel Reserve. Has a slight sour smell to it, but it might just be the Steel Reserve like smell (if you know what that smells like).

Mixed together a cup of dry malt extract and 2 quarts water and boiled them for 15 minutes. I iced down the pan for another 15-18 minutes then poured it into a glass iced tea jug (sanitized of course) then followed with the two packets of yeast from the tops of the cans.

Haven't tasted 'Steel Reserve' but 'sour' is a worry. [crying]

Are the cans in date?

Is the starter nice and active - appearing like a miniature version of a brew in a 30litre FV - foam, crusty ring, cloudy, tiny bubbles, sediment?

Pour off a small amount and have a smell and a taste - how does it taste?

I've never tried Steel Reserve but it sounds like something you'd keep for an emergency [ninja]

Just out of curiosity why would you make a starter from kit yeast?

8% alcohol and you have to drink it COLD. I tend to sleepwalk if I drink to much though. They only have it in the US I think. I just moved to Alice a couple months ago.

The reason I used kit yeast is mainly because I had it and it was in the recipe anyway.

After the first 3-4 days, it doesn't smell so bad so I cracked it open and took a sip a few minutes ago. I'll admit I was a little scared because I hate the taste of infected beer. It didn't taste bad at all. It almost tasted good! I think I'm in the clear. It's in the fridge until tomorrow.

• 1 year later...
why would you make a starter from kit yeast?

In an attempt to build up a population of healthy yeast cells to cope wih a high alcohol brew.

Hi PB2 and fellow beer enthusiasts,

I hope you don't mind me bumping on this old thread, but this is exactly what i was looking for. I knew starters work, i just never had explained to me [cool]

Cheers,

Parrot

Archived