Coopers Community

Slight recipe mistake

Anthony999

I've had a brew down for a few days and is fermenting ok but thought I would ask a slight recipe mistake.

I boiled 1 kg of light dry malt with hops when I should gave split in half 500 gm with hops and then the other 500 gm of dry light malt with the malt extract after with the boiled liquid in the fermentation vessel.

I didn't think this would be an issue but thought I would ask.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Wont make much of a difference if any. 

It depends on how long the hops were boiled for as to how noticeable this affects the final beer against the recipe the O.P. was working off. These shifts in final bitterness when used in differing wort gravities for boils is a known thing.

Just for clarity moving forward with your brewing Anthony999, you will have achieved a lower perceivable bitterness at the glass than if following the original recipe to the letter.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It depends on how long the hops were boiled for as to how noticeable this affects the final beer against the recipe the O.P. was working off. These shifts in final bitterness when used in differing wort gravities for boils is a known thing.

Just for clarity moving forward with your brewing Anthony999, you will have achieved a lower perceivable bitterness at the glass than if following the original recipe to the letter.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Hey lusty. Agree different boil gravities will give a different IBU but in my practical experience its very minor and at higher IBUs not even really noticeable to my taste buds. 

Hi Greeny.

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey lusty. Agree different boil gravities will give a different IBU but in my practical experience its very minor and at higher IBUs not even really noticeable to my taste buds. 

You're primarily boiling at full volumes these days so it makes less of a difference across most styles for you. A guy boiling the above weights at low volumes 5-10 litres will make a noticeable difference to their final beer depending on the starting wort gravity used at the beginning of the boil & the style of beer being brewed.

Hop utilisation is a factor no matter what volume & gravity you brew & boil at, & at lower boil volumes it has a much larger impact on final outcomes, so can't be ignored. 😉

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Thanks for the comments. Might be a good thing to have a lower IBU really.

I boiled 50 gms of Pacific Jade hops in 3 l of water for 10 minutes with the 1 kg of light dry malt. One finished added 25 gms of Amarillo hops. For another 10 minutes, no boil then cool down 15 minutes in cold water bath before straining into the fv.

The Pacific Jade hops are quite strong aroma.

Has been down for 5 days or so and smells great so far. Very cloudy though. Have another 5 days before checking.

Will come back once bottled and tasted.

2 minutes ago, Anthony999 said:

Thanks for the comments. Might be a good thing to have a lower IBU really.

I boiled 50 gms of Pacific Jade hops in 3 l of water for 10 minutes with the 1 kg of light dry malt. One finished added 25 gms of Amarillo hops. For another 10 minutes, no boil then cool down 15 minutes in cold water bath before straining into the fv.

The Pacific Jade hops are quite strong aroma.

Has been down for 5 days or so and smells great so far. Very cloudy though. Have another 5 days before checking.

Will come back once bottled and tasted.

It's pretty normal for the brew to be cloudy during fermentation. Once activity slows down you should see it start clearing up.

After it has reached a stable SG for 3 days, leave it for another 2-3 days to allow the yeast to do some extra cleaning up before bottling.

Mitch.

• 3 weeks later...