Coopers Community

Let's see your 2019 Oktoberfest recipe

ChristinaS1

Hi all, 

It is getting to be Oktoberfest season again. Let's see what your recipe is this year. Here is mine:

Oktoberfest 2019

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa kit
1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME
850gm Vienna malt 21.9%
325gm CaraMunich 8%
85gm Aromatic 2.1%
25gm Midnight Wheat 0.6%
15mg Hallertau hops boiled 20 minutes
22L 
14gm ale/lager yeast

OG 1.052; FG 1.012; ABV 5.3% (kegged); EBC 21; IBU 23.7; BU:GU 0.45.

Cheers,

Christina.
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

Hi Christina, shouldn't these have been brewed a while back?

I brewed a festbier back in May actually for my MOTB beer.

11 fermenter volume, half a Mexican Cerveza kit with a partial mash of 1kg pils, 500g Munich and 500g Vienna malt.

You are wise to add a bit of extra bittering. I relied on just the kit tin IBU and I don't think it's quite enough.

Also make sure you carbonate highly enough. I bottled into a mix of 500ml and 750ml with 1 and 2 carb drops respectively. The 750ml bottles are better, perhaps it helps compensate for the lack of IBU.

The yeast could have something to do with it too. I used a Czech lager yeast which will not be quite as crisp as the Coopers ale / lager blend. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

Hi John. May? I was was not thinking about Oktoberfest back then, LOL! You are probably right about this being a little late, but I have been distracted making English Bitters. I just started kegging, so can still squeeze this in. I am sort of cheating with the ale/lager yeast, but I like it. It is pretty good for a pseudo lager. 

What is the ABV of your brew? You pack more grain in an 11L batch than I do in 23L.  How big is your kettle? And just out of curiosity, how long do you boil?

Thanks for the tip to carbonate well. I will keep that in mind. I have yet to use my keg system.  I have a batch of beer naturally carbonating in kegs now, and a batch of APA in the fermenter which will be the first I force carbonate.  The Oktoberfest will be the second one to get force carbonated. I think I am going to like the quick turnaround times of kegging.

Cheers,

Christina. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

What is the ABV of your brew? You pack more grain in an 11L batch than I do in 23L.  How big is your kettle? And just out of curiosity, how long do you boil?

Hi Christina, 

I use a 38l mash tun and a 21 litre kettle and mashed in with 17l strike water for the 2kg grain on this batch.  I didn't sparge and with my system losses and adding the kit tin at the end of boil this gave me 11l in the fermenter at 1.058 OG.

My mash tun is intentionally oversized so I can do high gravity no-sparge beers should I be so inclined. I tend to do a 90 min mash and 60 min boil. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've never brewed an Oktober / Munich and generally don't brew lagers but I do have a Cerveza can on hand...     so, might consider trying my hand at brewing a partial-mash helles for "Xmasfest", just for the helle of it!  😎

• 1.7kg Cerveza
  • 1.6kg GF German Pilsner Malt
  • 600g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g sugar
  • 25g Wakatu @ 10 min
  • 5g gypsum
  • Coopers A/L yeast slurry or M76  Bavarian Yeast  ? 🤔

I'm using local Wakatu hops for their Hallertau Mittelfrueh lineage, actually they were originally know as "Hallertau Aroma".   What's left over will be useful in a future NZPA or whatever. 

• Like 1