Coopers Community

Fermentation done in 1 day

rylat

I tried a coopers amber ale with some ginger and sugar boiled before hand. 

So just ginger water plus the liquid malt extract. I stirred plenty and added the yeast. I think i may have added the yeast at too high a temp as the temp reading on the fermenter was around 26-27 degrees.

There was a lot of fermentation that started quite early on and there was a lot of krausen on top. .By that time the next day most activity had stopped. What should i do. I have only done a few batches before but they usually seem to ferment for a few days.

Did i add the yeast at too high a temp. There seems to be nothing happening in the fermenter atm.

I am using a coopers 8.5 litre small batch kit but have filled to the 10 litre mark.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Cheers

The hydrometer is your friend ... good practice is to use it to check if ferment is over ... once it is stable for 2 days it is done ...  my bet is it is not finished yet ... quickest I have had was 3 days and that was reusing the whole yeast cake from a brew so it was a massive over pitch of yeast ...  

• Thanks 1

I just tested sg. So thursday tonight It was 1010. 

At start it was 1050.

The colour is dark and cloudy still. All my others were though after only 3 days. Normal i quess. ....?

So should i just wait it out a week. I was going to dry hop friday. Says to leave them for 3 days then bottle.  Should i not bother with this now or should i just wait a bit longer to add it for the last 3 days. Thanks for the advice. 

Cheers