Coopers Community

my first brew

scoobasteve

Hi everyone,

This is my first home brew and i purchased the coopers kit and a mangrove jacks American IPA with the Malt extract packet also. I have done everything as instructed and the SG reading is alot 

lower than its supposed to be. The website says it should be around 1.012 and for the last 2 days i am getting 1.002. My original gravity was 1.040 at the start. Have i ruined it? or is it still ok to bottle? I have no clue at this point? Any help would be great, thanks. 

Steve...  

Hello Steve and welcome to the group.

I hope you are aware you got yourself into a rabbit hole when you started brewing 🙂 

Yes, it is a pretty low reading. Even when using dextrose it should come out as 1.008. It was the 1.2kg liquid malt extract you used right?

I don't think the beer is bad, it'll just have a fair bit more ABV, if your readings are correct.  I'd still bottle it and see. 

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the reply, 

Yes that is correct the 1.2KG liquid malt extract. I have tasted it and it does not taste bad so that's a bonus haha. \

Yes i am starting to become aware of how much is involved but I am excited to learn. 

Thanks again i will still bottle it and see how it goes.