Coopers Community

Coopers Dark Ale

wilfw

Would it be okay to use 1kg of dark dry malt extract with the Coppers Dark Ale kit or would it alter the character of the beer too much. I was also going to add 250g of soft dark brown sugar to it. And add 25g Willamette hops as a hop tea or a 10 minute boil in some wort.

What do you think, does this sound okay? Sorry but I'm not that experienced at tinkering with different ingredients, though my brews made to kit instructions have been very pleasant.

Edited by wilfw

6 hours ago, wilfw said:

Would it be okay to use 1kg of dark dry malt extract with the Coppers Dark Ale kit

I have done this and found it not particularly pleasant ... +1 for try less so maybe 0.5 kg or maybe even less ... instead of the brown sugar i love golden syrup in my dark ales and bitters so maybe 300g jar of GS  ... 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

I have a Coppers OS Lager which I don't really want to brew as a  Lager so I wonder if with it being very light and very little bitterness, if it would possibly work with the dark toasty malts of the Dark ale and if so would some golden syrup complement this mix if the brown sugar addition isn't advisable. Also what do you think of the addition of the Willamette hops as either a hop tea or even a dry hop. Any advice welcome thanks.

Edited by wilfw

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It may make the dark, toasty malts a bit overpowering. Perhaps you could try half dark malt and half light?

Yep, beware the dark malt. I did a Cooper bitter with 500g of dark malt and 500g light. Way too roasty, burnt coffee flavours. My worst beer so far, albeit still drinkable. It's mellowed a lot over 3 months and smoothed out, but still not one I go to often

I would 500g of light malt, or a tin of liquid light and 200g brown or dark brown sugar. That will make a nice beer. I've done 2 recent brews with brown sugar and really like them.

I always use 250g soft dark brown sugar in the OS Stout along with 1kg dark dry malt extract which works very well (for my taste anyway), but I think y'all have convinced me that a lighter approach is perhaps wiser to get the best from the Dark Ale kit. I've also got a BE2 that came with an English Bitter package, but I intend not to use it with the Bitter, maybe it would work with the Dark Ale along with some light dry malt extract?

The dark malt is suited to dark beer styles and kits imo - think porter or stout. But for my tastes, it's too much with dark ale or bitter. I think the dark is a brown ale. That or the bitter would go well with Amber malt (liquid). I've just opened my first Bitter/Amber/250g brown sugar, and I like it. It's similar to the extra smooth bitter recipe on the recipe page.

8 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

The dark malt is suited to dark beer styles and kits imo - think porter or stout. But for my tastes, it's too much with dark ale or bitter. I think the dark is a brown ale. That or the bitter would go well with Amber malt (liquid). I've just opened my first Bitter/Amber/250g brown sugar, and I like it. It's similar to the extra smooth bitter recipe on the recipe page.

That's worth bearing in mind for when I do my English Bitter. My intention with that was to keep the abv down as in the kit instructions, so it was my intention to use just 500g light dry malt, but Amber malt is perhaps a possible alternative. I was also going to use an English Ale yeast with the Bitter.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:37 AM, wilfw said:

I have a Coppers OS Lager which I don't really want to brew as a  Lager so I wonder if with it being very light and very little bitterness, if it would possibly work with the dark toasty malts of the Dark ale and if so would some golden syrup complement this mix if the brown sugar addition isn't advisable. Also what do you think of the addition of the Willamette hops as either a hop tea or even a dry hop. Any advice welcome thanks.

Check out the smoty ale recipe.. similar to your idea here but uses the Australian pale ale tin and ekg hops. Its one of the best brews I've done 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Len said:

Check out the smoty ale recipe.. similar to your idea here but uses the Australian pale ale tin and ekg hops. Its one of the best brews I've done 

I've had a look at the Smoty Ale recipe. Sounds as if using the Lager kit will work something similar to the APA. The description on the Lager kit is straw coloured with floral aromas, light to medium bodied palate and subtle malt and hop flavours. I have some Willamette hops which are described as spicy, floral and fruity. I may use Target hops for the 15 minute simmer and the Willamette for the 30 minute steep. I will use an English ale yeast rather than the kit yeast.

Really looking forward to doing this one and seeing how it turns out. Thanks for the idea Len.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 12:19 AM, wilfw said:

Would it be okay to use 1kg of dark dry malt extract with the Coppers Dark Ale kit or would it alter the character of the beer too much. 

I enjoy the dark dry malt (KG) with the Dark Ale Extract. Goes well with crystal malt at about 250g.

Put it down for a while to smooth. Not everyone's cup of tea however I find it a damn good brew.

Cheers