Coopers Community

Sanitiser

Cosmo2450

How do you all sanitise your equipment? I’ve been brewing a while and what I’ve been doing is filling my fermenter and keg with water and the appropriate amount of sanitiser and leaving it for 15 minutes and then tipping it out. My question here is can you say just use a litre of diluted sanitiser and swell it around in the keg or fermenter for a couple of minutes? Can you re use sanitiser? I find I am going through the stuff...

You're going to burn through your sanitiser using a few hundred ml each brew. I had to get the 1 litre of Starsan last time, it was all they had. That's $50 right there.

The mix ratio is 1.5ml per litre for Starsan, other products often higher. I don't measure, I just guesstimate the amount of water in my FV and add about 10ml. This does my FV, spoons, strainer and the flexi bucket I use to carry water to the garage to fill my FV.  Bottles get a few drops in the vinator to wash them.

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

You're going to burn through your sanitiser using a few hundred ml each brew. I had to get the 1 litre of Starsan last time, it was all they had. That's $50 right there.

The mix ratio is 1.5ml per litre for Starsan, other products often higher. I don't measure, I just guesstimate the amount of water in my FV and add about 10ml. This does my FV, spoons, strainer and the flexi bucket I use to carry water to the garage to fill my FV.  Bottles get a few drops in the vinator to wash them.

5 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

a few hundred mls of the mixed solution

See above, I pre mix mine to the 1.5ml/L then add to the FV.

Also, $50 for a liter 😮 get the StellaSan from KegLand or your LHBS usually stock it. My LHBS sells a liter of Stellasan for $10 and it lasts yonks.

Mitch.