Coopers Community

Woolies bread beer

Greenyinthewestofsydney

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

At $24 for a six-pack of 'shrinkflation' stubbies (330ml), I'd reckon they're making plenty out of it. Nothing more than a virtue signalling marketing ploy, IMO.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, FusterCluck said:

At $24 for a six-pack of 'shrinkflation' stubbies (330ml), I'd reckon they're making plenty out of it. Nothing more than a virtue signalling marketing ploy, IMO.

330ml has been the standard in Europe for decades. Just another side effect of globalisation. Lowering content and upping prices by 10% appears more acceptable than upping prices by 20%.

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

330ml has been the standard in Europe for decades. Just another side effect of globalisation. Lowering content and upping prices by 10% appears more acceptable than upping prices by 20%.

We have much to thank Europe for, but the two-swig 330ml bottle isn't one of them.  Of course, shrinkflation can take multiple forms. Boags didn't change their bottle size, but reduced the ABV to 4.6%. I think CUB tried the same trick with VB (4.9%→4.6%), but after a few years they had to revert due to huge losses in market share. Even Coopers pull a few swifties here and there with their 355ml (WTF?) bottles for certain lines (Celebration, lager etc).  They haven't tried it (yet) with Pale Ale or Sparkling.