Lab Rat

Coopers APA ideas

Hi all

Been brewing winter styles beers of late, notably with the Real ale or Coopers bitter. Picked up an APA for a change and not sure what do to beef it up. The last time I brewed it was one of my early brews - I used a pale brew kit from the LHBS, something similar to BE2, no hops, nothing. A pretty average beer for my tastes.

I know I could hop it with the usual pale style hops, but I have some Amber liquid and dry wheat malt on hand, would either of these be any good with this beer? Haven't used wheat before, no idea how I got this.

majority of my brews are made using the APA can, a short boil with ldm and hops, then a dry hop.

I also use LDM rather than the BE2/3 mix.

They all turn out pretty good to me. Havent used any of the other items you mentioned however.

Depends what style of beer you're going for?  If you want a light 'lawnmower' type beer then the wheat plus some hops would do it. 

You don't mention quantities but if you want it darker and maltier then use the amber... and there's actually no reason why you couldn't use both the wheat and amber.   All options would be an improvement over the brew enhancers.   Either way though, I'd still add hops as I personally think hop additions alone improve most kits.   

The liquid amber malt sounds like an idea and maybe some centennial hops, boil or dry. 

Or you make it into something like a wheat beer, using the wheat malt and maybe some Hallertau hop tea. Drop in a bit of honey for a nice honey wheat.

52 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Depends what style of beer you're going for?  If you want a light 'lawnmower' type beer then the wheat plus some hops would do it. 

You don't mention quantities but if you want it darker and maltier then use the amber... and there's actually no reason why you couldn't use both the wheat and amber.   All options would be an improvement over the brew enhancers.   Either way though, I'd still add hops as I personally think hop additions alone improve most kits.   

Not going for any particular style other than an easy drinker with some flavour. Have brewed all my pales last year with LDM, as I prefer that. No idea what amber or wheat would do to this beer so thought I'd ask.

I did a 10lt brew of APA a while back (extract) and used 20g of Citra as a hop tea and 20g Citra dry hopped at day 2. It was ok, reckon I could have gone more though.

Hi @Lab Rat

I did a quick search of my Coopers Beer Recipes spreadsheet.  There are a couple of recipes using the APA can and Liquid Amber Malt Extract.  See below and the attached file sorted to show the recipes.

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.1 - APA Can plus Liquid Amber Malt Extract.xlsx

There are no Coopers recipes that include the APA can, Amber Malt, and dry wheat malt.  However, there is no reason why you could not put all three together.  Be aware that with all three your ABV will get up to around 8%.

A little while ago I did a Saison using the APA can, the Preachers Hefe Wheat can plus 500g Wheat Dry Malt and Mangrove Jacks French Saison Yeast.  I liked it, but Saison is a style some folks do not like.

Wheat is supposed to give better head retention so maybe that is something you will get from the dry wheat malt.  Wheat can also increase cloudiness.

Let us know what you end up settling on.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 3

I put a bit of wheat in all my pales and IPAs now.

I don’t really like wheat beers as such,  but a little bit in PA / IPA recipe gives it a really decent head, lacing and mouth feel ( that always  sounds a bit rude to me  but is  not intended)!

I would go with the 2 cans you’ve got and 250g of wheat and whatever your favourite hop combo is, I would probably put 2 of either of these Amarillo, Cascade, Mosaic, Citra , Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe as a short boil and dry hop.

Yum

Cheers

James

• Like 3