Coopers Community

Advice on Toucan brew please

wilfw

I haven't done a Toucan brew before so I'm after some advice please.

I'm in the UK and I got a 'Youngs' Brewbuddy Bitter kit cheap £10 off ebay. It is a 1.8of kit and is as far as I am aware a fairly basic budget type kit so I would not expect anything very wonderful from it in terms of flavour or hop characteristics. So I though that rather than adding dry malt extract or dextrose to it I would use the kit itself as the fermentables for a Coppers kit plus some hop addition in order to get a much better end result.

I was thinking of using a Family Secret Amber Ale kit and adding the Brewbuddy Bitter kit to it along with a hop tea using Northdown and EKG English hops and an English Ale yeast to achieve a decent English type ale.

Will I be way off the mark doing this or should I use a less full bodied, less hoppy Coppers kit, like the original series Draught?

I don't see what it wouldn't work. The cans (even the hoppier ones) tend to lack in hoppiness compared to using fresh hops yourself so I wouldn't stress too much about that.

The main thing I would be looking out for is bitterness, as both tins will be pre bittered, adding the two together may amount to more bitterness than you want.

Do you know the bitterness of the BrewBuddy kit?

Mitch.

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

I don't see what it wouldn't work. The cans (even the hoppier ones) tend to lack in hoppiness compared to using fresh hops yourself so I wouldn't stress too much about that.

The main thing I would be looking out for is bitterness, as both tins will be pre bittered, adding the two together may amount to more bitterness than you want.

Do you know the bitterness of the BrewBuddy kit?

Mitch.

It says on the brewbuddy tin that the bitterness should be 44 to 55 but this can vary depending on brewing methods.