Coopers Community

Stoneware - the ideal beer mug?

Lark

Hi all - on unpacking some old removal boxes recently I came across a stoneware mug we used to hand them out as gifts to good customers of a shop I had a share in. Please see 2nd & 3rd pics below. 

Turns out it is the best mug to drink home-brew out of - holds a foamy head incredibly well and keeps the beer ice-cold.

I have since searched for others in the hope I can get a couple as backup but so far no go. This single one I have goes everywhere with me - including camping/fishing/surfing trips, which is dangerous to its well-being!

Glass and normal ceramic mugs (1st pics) seem to kill the head and foam and it quickly dissipates. I have even tipped beer from one of these into the stoneware mug and it foams up again and keeps the head again! 

I wondered if anyone has experienced similar things and may have any suggestions?

thanks, Sean

IMG_8128.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8127.JPG

• Like 2

@Lark Think it is individual preference and if you enjoy drinking your Brew from stoneware, go for it.

Chanced upon old Viners Sheffield Pewter Mug last month & enjoying the occasional slurp from it. Certainly a different drinking experience to glassware.

The downside of mugs as I see it, is they tend only to come in one size "Huge" where as glassware has plenty of size & shape options. Also unable to observe the contents (for colour, carbonation).

As a student we were not adverse to using jars, mind you mega swill is OK in a jar. Argggggh the good old days!!

Cheers YB

Petwer Beer Stein.JPG

• Like 2

Perhaps the stone mug has some roughness inside it which is releasing bubbles to keep the head, the same way nucleated glasses do. 

I have a German beer stein with the lid on it, but I think it's ceramic. In any case I prefer glass overall, I like to see the colour of the beer as well as enjoy its flavour. 

• Like 3

While I can understand the appeal of such mugs, great collectables but ultimately I believe we drink with our eyes first.  Belgian brewers for example have made glassware an important part of their beer experience for quite a while, and to their great advantage.   There's been a lot of research into cross-sensory experience, and with regard to food and drink and there seems no doubt that what you see has an notable impact on what you 'think' you taste.   Marketers and advertisers of beer and other products have known this for a long time and use enticing visuals as major influencer in the promotion of their product.  

• Like 3

good points; my only hesitation on this has been that when I pour mine into glassware it seems not to hold the head for long, hence my joy at finding a stoneware mug which did not seem to do this. However, the issue may be my beer-making 'skills' which are at the apprentice stage??!!

1 hour ago, Lark said:

good points; my only hesitation on this has been that when I pour mine into glassware it seems not to hold the head for long, hence my joy at finding a stoneware mug which did not seem to do this. However, the issue may be my beer-making 'skills' which are at the apprentice stage??!!

Clever glass design can help with that. The ridged IPA or Stout glass from Speigelau agitate the beer as you drink and set down. 

10 hours ago, BlackSands said:

While I can understand the appeal of such mugs, great collectables but ultimately I believe we drink with our eyes first.  Belgian brewers for example have made glassware an important part of their beer experience for quite a while, and to their great advantage.   There's been a lot of research into cross-sensory experience, and with regard to food and drink and there seems no doubt that what you see has an notable impact on what you 'think' you taste.   Marketers and advertisers of beer and other products have known this for a long time and use enticing visuals as major influencer in the promotion of their product.  

I prefer thin glass opposed to thick. I just think whatever I drink just tastes better. I really like my tulip glasses.

But still, I like my stoneware Weizen glass in the garden in the summer.

Edited by der kleine Drache

Haha, this is the closest I have to stoneware. I don't use it often but occasionally I'll drink the ⛤⛤ BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES  out of it!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190904133032231_COVER.thumb.jpg.3f503094584a596b713599646d5b14cf.jpg

It's doable for beer, but only if I'm not interested in colour/carb.

The handle is hollow so it can cool your hand / warm your beer if you like. 👍

Also, the uneven surface on the inside is good for agitating up some head on your beer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

. . . .handsome collection but also interesting to note a number of these specialty beer mugs seem to taper inwards towards the top - assume there is a good reason for that?! Maybe that is what keeps the head/foam going?