Coopers Community

Fermzilla

Cosmo2450

Received my fermzilla  yesterday and what a unit it is. Far superior to its predecessor. 

I got a quick brew in it at the moment - sunkissed wiesse with the zest of two oranges. Brewing at a steady 10 psi and it smells amazing. 

Anyone else got one of these bad boys or ferment under pressure?

1BC9BFEB-5A52-49CE-9035-A800E2C2162D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey cosmo,

Dont have a fermzilla but have fermented in the keg one batch and will do another in a couple of weeks. My saison turned out fine but i got extreme funk for whatever reason when its supposed to ferment cleaner under pressure. Anyway going to try a simple pale ale next and see how it goes on that.

That’s a saison for you I guess haha. The advantage of this is that I can remove the yeast cake by just unscrewing the collection bottle down the bottom marking for a cleaner brew. I can also dry up and now even purge the oxygen out before exposing the beer the the hops. 

It’s less bulky but having said that it’s wide enough to get your arm in it for proper cleaning. The collection vessel can be removed and attached without any oxygen contamination, the frame is a hundred times more sturdy. Just feels like a great unit

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, Cosmo2450 said:

It’s less bulky but having said that it’s wide enough to get your arm in it for proper cleaning. The collection vessel can be removed and attached without any oxygen contamination, the frame is a hundred times more sturdy. Just feels like a great unit

Hey Cosmo, was looking to buy a FermZilla, how are you finding it ? I like the idea of a closed transfer into the keg.

cheers 

6 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey Cosmo, was looking to buy a FermZilla, how are you finding it ? I like the idea of a closed transfer into the keg.

cheers 

A worthy investment my friend. Buy a spunding valve with it too. 

I don’t think I’d brew in a bucket ever again

@Red devil 44 That would depend on what setting you put your spunding valve.  I have built a spunding valve and intend to use it to ferment in a keg at ambient temperature (~20C) soon. FWIW, in the reading I have done you need to ferment at 20PSI for it to be carbed once you chill it, but I have no direct experience. 

Cheers,

Christina.

10 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

@Red devil 44 That would depend on what setting you put your spunding valve.  I have built a spunding valve and intend to use it to ferment in a keg at ambient temperature (~20C) soon. FWIW, in the reading I have done you need to ferment at 20PSI for it to be carbed once you chill it, but I have no direct experience. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Cheers Christina, think I’ll get one 🍺🍺

28 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Forgive my ignorance. But does co2 need to be hooked up to the unit when fermenting. What does the spunding valve do ?

Hey Paddy, from my research on it ( as I don’t own one yet ) the fermenter is a sealed unit so it makes it own CO2 during fermentation, the spunding valve is to keep the pressure constant eg 10 PSI inside the vessel, therefore you could release some gas if needed, although it is fitted with a PSV so you cannot over pressurize the fermenter. Then when transferring to a keg you hook the CO2 cylinder up to the fermenter, then a line from the beer out on fermenter to the outlet post of your keg, keeping your sealed keg at a pressure lower than 10 PSI to allow the transfer to happen.  By fitting it to the beer outlet post on your keg it allows a smooth transfer through the dip tube eliminating foaming etc. Transfer the spunding valve assembly minus the gauge to the in post on the keg, then when beer comes up through the spunding valve you know it has reached the tip of the small dip tube in the keg, thereby still allowing a gas space at the top of your keg, in my short research that is my understanding although a FZ owner may have a more detailed description.

Cheers 🍺🍺

• Thanks 1