worry wort

Real Ale and liquid malt.

Ive been reading the 'real ale' thread on here and have an idea how it will go, but to be specific, I have a can of real ale and want to reduce my liquid malt extract holdings by mixing one with the RA. Would the RA can, 500g dextrose and 1.5 light liquid malt with either sa05 or premium english ale yeast work? I see EKG as a dry hop is a good mix as well. 

2 hours ago, worry wort said:

Would the RA can, 500g dextrose and 1.5 light liquid malt with either sa05 or premium english ale yeast work?

Would work a treat, I would use the English Ale yeast if you are going to use EKG hops ... I have found centennial goes very well with the RA, as does using Golden Syrup ...  personally I would ditch the dex and use Golden Syrup .... if you bottle it will be wonderful in a couple of months so put a few away to enjoy later ...  both the dex or the golden syrup will be around 4.7%  if you bottle....  

Yes, can't see the dex adding anything there. I did a can of liquid malt with RA, as you probably read. It's not bad, but I want a bit more from this kit, so am going amber next time and adding brown sugar, or molasses.

Posted (edited)

If it's any help, I'll be sampling a RA + 1.7kg LME brew in a week or so that I threw 25g + 25g of Styrian Goldings hops at (5min boil + dry).   I fermented with Nottingham yeast. 

Will be a similar beer so I'll let you know what I think of it.

Edited by BlackSands

23 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

personally I would ditch the dex and use Golden Syrup .... 

How much golden syrup, 500ml as per the dextrose its replacing?

17 minutes ago, worry wort said:

How much golden syrup, 500ml as per the dextrose its replacing?

Where I but it it comes in 300ml bottles so I use 1 but what ever floats your boat.

• Thanks 1

Might be headed north of 6% with 500g... My Scotch ale ended up there with similar ingredients. Doesn't hide the ABV either.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Will be a similar beer so I'll let you know what I think of it.

please do, i won't be doing this brew until at least saturday week.

cheers.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Where I but it it comes in 300ml bottles so I use 1 but what ever floats your boat.

ok then, sounds like a plan, will let you know how it pans out.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:34 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Would work a treat, I would use the English Ale yeast if you are going to use EKG hops ... I have found centennial goes very well with the RA, as does using Golden Syrup ...  personally I would ditch the dex and use Golden Syrup .... if you bottle it will be wonderful in a couple of months so put a few away to enjoy later ...  both the dex or the golden syrup will be around 4.7%  if you bottle....  

ok, so i took your advice, ditched the dex for 300g golden syrup, ditched fuggles and EA yeast for 25g 10m steep of Centennial and SA05 yeast. sampling at day 6 had an SG of 1.014 and an aftertaste of golden syrup which I found a bit sweet, so dryhopped 12g citra. Sampling this morning, day 9, 1.010 and a very nice taste. The GS is still there, but not as prominent, and at this stage the abv, as you correctly predicted, 4.2, or 4.7 after priming. thanks for the tip

Edited by worry wort

13 minutes ago, worry wort said:

aftertaste of golden syrup

That should sweetness should dissipate as it is 100% fermentable and as an inverted sugar is great for head retention ... should give the RA good mouth feel and head once conditioned ...  it probable will not be at its best for 6 to 8 weeks if you can hold out that long ... the only issue i have with the RA is that it is the last of the batch that tastes the best ...  as they condition they seem to develop more and more body ...hope you end up liking it ... 

Pre-ferment and even at-bottled samples will have a residual sweetness if you use things like brown sugar and syrup. I've done a few 'sweet' Real ale brews lately,  and they mellow at bottle conditioning, and then more over time.

Being that the FG hadn't been reached would make it taste a bit sweet. 

Lack of carbonation makes it taste a bit sweeter too. Once it's carbonated the carbonic acid offsets the sweetness a bit. That's why Coca cola is very highly carbonated and something like solo is lower. 

I've noticed it with kegs that haven't fully carbonated when I try a glass, as well as bottles that didn't carbonate properly a few years ago. 

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lack of carbonation makes it taste a bit sweeter too. Once it's carbonated the carbonic acid offsets the sweetness a bit. That's why Coca cola is very highly carbonated and something like solo is lower. 

TIL carbonation makes a difference to sweetness. 

Makes you wonder if the 'lower sugar' colas could get away with it better, by less carbonation instead of artificial sweeteners...

still learning this part of the process. For years i didn't worry about og/fg, hops, malts etc, just the can, maybe brown sugar every now and then with a dark ale, but it was set, wait till it stopped working then give it a week then bottle. Can't understand why I didn't make this move 10 years ago!

But this forum is an absolute Godsend for anyone trying to find their way to better-than-commercial homebrew, and I thank all contributors to the post I put up.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, drewbert said:

TIL carbonation makes a difference to sweetness. 

Makes you wonder if the 'lower sugar' colas could get away with it better, by less carbonation instead of artificial sweeteners...

Probably. Normal coke tastes sickly sweet when it goes flat.