Sign in to follow this  
Hilltop hops

Sabsosa brewing comp Adelaide

Hi all, just paid my entry for the Sabsosa show coming up in Adelaide. Entering my single hop IPA. I reckon it's pretty good so I can't wait to get some feedback from a judge. Anyone else entering? 

https://www.sabsosa.com.au/

On 8/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Hi all, just paid my entry for the Sabsosa show coming up in Adelaide. Entering my single hop IPA. I reckon it's pretty good so I can't wait to get some feedback from a judge. Anyone else entering? 

https://www.sabsosa.com.au/

I am not entering but good luck anyway be interested to hear how you go🤞

🍻 

Had a minor saga today! Drove to Left Barrel ... not open Tuesdays. Oh well, got a pie in Balhannah at my favourite bakery (for pies at least) and went down the freeway to Goodie Cellars. When I got home though I noticed a rubber band in my box so I called them and, sure enough, one of my beers was without a label. Had to go back and reattach it. Oh well, good thing I had all day and nothing to do!!

Seriously though, head to the Balhannah Bakery and grab a steak & pepper pie - it’s the best. The coffee is good too ... but if you want a donut best to go to Banana Boogie in Belair on your way home.

(we cyclists know these things)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Seriously though, head to the Balhannah Bakery and grab a steak & pepper pie - it’s the best. The coffee is good too ... but if you want a donut best to go to Banana Boogie in Belair on your way home.

Good tips KR, will check those out when I'm down at the end of the year. Going to be heading out to the Birdwood motor museum again so in the general direction. 

Cheers, 

John 

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Seriously though, head to the Balhannah Bakery and grab a steak & pepper pie - it’s the best

Google maps says it is 15 hours and 6 minutes by car so it better be the best pie I have EVER had in my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Printed labels at work today, tomorrow morning dropping off entry at Brewmaker Holden Hill. Had another taster tonight and she's good but we'll see how it goes against the famous Galactipa! First comp outside motb so I'll just be happy with some feedback to be honest. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I'll just be happy with some feedback to be honest.

That's, more than anything, why I have entered, and also why I have entered six times this year!

4 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

@Mark D Pirate - care to tell us about your judging experience? How ... jovial do the judges end up being at the end of the sessions?

It's actually hard work , so many different beers from different brewers with different goals/ targets in mind. 

Remember I don't know if you're trying to copy a commercial example you absolutely love and even if you nail it it may not meet the guidelines and score low. 

I may really enjoy a beer and still scored it 25 simply because it doesn't fit catorgory .

We always try to offer some constructive feedback to hopefully improve your brews. 

As far as getting jovial during a session it does happen,  judges are encouraged to ask for a rest break if needed and water is always available which is very much needed on some of the larger flights or the boozy / strong flavoured styles .

@King Ruddager I do suggest you attend presentation at the Wheatsheaf on Saturday,  bring me a bottle of that Viking beer that I don't have to share and I'll give you some Kveik for next time you make it 

Also, I assume since you’re encouraging me to attend the award celebration that a certain other beer of mine won the prize for ... Best in Galaxy, shall we say?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Ruddager said:

Also, I assume since you’re encouraging me to attend the award celebration that a certain other beer of mine won the prize for ... Best in Galaxy, shall we say?

Sure there's not another bottle hiding somewhere?  

Can you rebrew?  

I can't say too much more but If there happened to be more of this around there may be a roadtrip to visit some other judges in the near future and I suspect some bling and bragging rights 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is half a bottle in the shed which I opened before entering it to see how badly over-carbed it was ... and it WAS so I had to release a bit of gas from the one you had.

Having said that, I already have re-brewed and the Kviek I used got through it all in just four and a half days!

One thing though, the viking beer you had was my "summer edition" with Pilsner as the base malt but the new one has a Red X base, so it's quite different. It's part of the whole viking theme ...

• Juniper, because Sahti
  • Red X, because blood
  • Smoked, because burning villages
  • Hickory, because axe handles (although the last two are manuka ... I was too lazy to smoke my own)
  • Rye, because ... seems like a viking thing to do
  • Kviek (this is new), because duh it's viking yeast

It was also bottled way back in January so it had had some time to age and for the flavours to meld.

Anyway, no more of the one you had, but I always liked the Red X batch better anyway 😉

On 8/27/2019 at 6:48 PM, King Ruddager said:

There's not too many bad bakeries in the Adelaide hills. My son plays footy for Kersbrook (grand final this Sat. at Macclesfield) so we've experienced a number of great bakeries travelling to games. Clarendon bakery a few weeks ago was a gem.

I don't cycle though 😉 

Well, one of my beers came second in category 😎 Not the Viking Beer though as it turns out - that just got an average score.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Well, one of my beers came second in category 😎 Not the Viking Beer though as it turns out - that just got an average score.

Congrats! I just had a look at my scorecards, scored a 30. Got some good feedback so I'm happy for a first comp. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Well done! That is pretty cool.

A friend of mine is brewing an ale with the kveik yeast and he is seriously thinking about not dry hopping it due to the extremely fruity aromas coming out. He is even fermenting it at either 30c or 40c and it took off in like 45 minutes? I want some.

Again, congratulations.

3 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Congrats! I just had a look at my scorecards, scored a 30. Got some good feedback so I'm happy for a first comp. 

Well done Hilltop Hops!

I entered a Choc Raspberry Porter but I haven't been able to access any scores.  I might have to contact SABSOSA to see if my entry was received.