Coopers Community

Leaky cube!!

MitchBastard

I decided to check my cube of fresh Pilsner wort before heading off to a 14hr work day.....Not sure what I was checking but I just went to look at it. I was literally looking at it as it sprung a leak from around the lid. Not entirely sure how it was leaking but my reaction was to dump the wort into my fermentor and throw it in my fridge. 

Problem is it was about 15degrees off pitching temp. Ink bird is set to pitching temp and I’ll pitch once I’m home tonight at about 10:30pm

Will pitching that long after being in the fermentor be a problem in the long run? 

Cheers! 

14 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

I decided to check my cube of fresh Pilsner wort before heading off to a 14hr work day.....Not sure what I was checking but I just went to look at it. I was literally looking at it as it sprung a leak from around the lid. Not entirely sure how it was leaking but my reaction was to dump the wort into my fermentor and throw it in my fridge. 

Problem is it was about 15degrees off pitching temp. Ink bird is set to pitching temp and I’ll pitch once I’m home tonight at about 10:30pm

Will pitching that long after being in the fermentor be a problem in the long run? 

Cheers! 

Although not recommended practice if everything is sanitised properly it will probably be fine 🤞 is there anyone that can pitch it earlier whilst you’re away?

Edited by RDT2

22 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Although not recommended practice if everything is sanitised properly it will probably be fine 🤞 is there anyone that can pitch it earlier whilst you’re away?

Nar not really. Misso isn’t home until later also. I know the cube would have only leaked to a certain point but didn’t really want to risk it so made the decision to do so. 

#prayforthepilsner

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Weird. If it was sitting upright the only thing I can think of that would cause that is if it got infected somehow and started fermenting. There shouldn't be any pressure inside the cube otherwise.

It was upright. I use the rectangular jerry can ones. It did expand a bit allowing me to get 23ltrs into it....maybe as it was cooling there was some some kind of intake if the seal was dodgy...mighta just been enough to spit some out... I’m no scientist tho.

@Otto Von Blotto it’s flat on top. Upon closer inspection this afternoon it appears the lid doesn’t screw on properly.  

Not sure why I didn’t notice it the first time... it screws on and then clicks out of the thread and sits like its been screwed on crooked. Spent about half an hour trying to get it to line up. No good tho. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, karlos_1984 said:

I've transferred hot wort into my FV before and left it overnight in my fermentation fridge with the inkbird set to pitching temp to cool it down. Pitched yeast the following day. I had no problems and the beer turned out great.

I actually did this yesterday as well. I've got a 15 ltr cube and after the boil I had 13.5 ltrs. I did a quick ice bath in the sink to drop it to 80 degrees for the FO/whirlpool hop addition, then transferred to the cube after 15 mins. Put in the fermenting fridge and it was down to pitching temp about 5 hours later. Transferred to FV, aerated and pitched yeast. Simples .

When you're doing it quickly like that, it's not really gonna cause any issues. I no chill my yeast starters like that, just boil them, cover with foil and let them sit there until they're cool enough for the yeast.

For longer storage though, definitely want it going into the cube over 80 degrees and as much air as possible squeezed out. 

3 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

I actually did this yesterday as well. I've got a 15 ltr cube and after the boil I had 13.5 ltrs. I did a quick ice bath in the sink to drop it to 80 degrees for the FO/whirlpool hop addition, then transferred to the cube after 15 mins. Put in the fermenting fridge and it was down to pitching temp about 5 hours later. Transferred to FV, aerated and pitched yeast. Simples .

G'day Karlos, 

Wondering, why bother with the cube then? Just put a lid on your pot and do the same thing. 

Cheers, 

John 

Last time I didn't do the ice bath for the sake of a FO/whirlpool hop addition and it took a lot longer to cool. Probably could have just tipped straight into the FV and left it in the fridge for those few hours. I've done that before overnight and had no dramas.