Coopers Community

frothy beer

worry wort

19 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Maybe a yeast stall - then restart during conditioning. That could do it.

Yes, as I've already suggested in a previous post.

3 of the 4 have now confirmed they brew under ambient conditions, & given the large temperature swings currently in the area, a stall, or partial stall during primary fermentation is definitely something at least worth considering as a contributing factor.

If you wish to brew beer under ambient conditions, insulating it well against overnight temps like that is a must (IMHO).

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, Lab Rat said:

I had this happen with one brew, and it was last year when I brewed without temp control. No idea why, it definitely fermented out.

But 3 of you brewing the same beer around the same time? Way, way too many variables between all of you - are you all brewing at ambient? You have temp variations between houses right there. Is any of you using a fridge?

The only constant would be the beer and the yeast. So logic dictates it's got to be something to do with those. Rock up to the LBS together and get some free kits...!

One brewed the Draught kit, one the Lager, one the Real Ale kit according to Worry Wort, so not "the same beer" in each case at all. Each kit TTBOMK contains the same kit yeast, so NO variable there. The temp swings between houses would be minimal at best given they are ALL fermenting under ambient conditions within a 1km radius of each other.

Your post suggests blame the kit & blame the yeast, go back to the LHBS & try & squeeze a free one from the owner.

22 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

I know. Which was what I suggested as logical from the start, and you trashed the idea.

Bahahaha! 🤣

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

never realised they were that cheap

Yep with free postage, on ebay ... InkBird 308 I use and love it .... the inkbird 310 is dearer but is programmable so that you can monitor it by wireless and set other features like temp increases for diacetyl rest for lagers and temp drops for cold crashing ... so basically can set and forget ... 

• Like 1

Might have to upgrade from the STC 1000 day to the inkbird , when my tax return comes in ... whistling... tumbleweeds .. clock ticking ..etc

Mate at work has got one and can check it on tinternet  and all that -flash as..

Cheers

James

7 hours ago, James Lao said:

Mate at work has got one and can check it on tinternet  and all that -flash as..

Yep that is the 310.  I have a 308 and works a treat ... I bought on ebay during last summer and have not looked back beer is exceptional ... the only time i would have liked a 310 is the couple of times i have been away for a week and could have programmed it to start the cold crash while i was away ...  

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The new 308 ones have the wifi thing as well. You can change settings on it but can't do the programmed changes. I actually prefer it that way though, if the fermentation doesn't go as quickly as expected then you don't have the brew rising or dropping in temperature too soon. 

So the 308 has WiFi was unaware of that mine may be the superseded model or I just did not read the instructions fully .... I agree with the programming. I think it is not necessary and glad I did not pay the extra $20.00, which is a bout 40% of the cost of the 308, for functions that would be rarely used.