Coopers Community

Considering the jump to kegging...

drewbert

I reckon. I only pay $60 or so to swap and go 6.8kg cylinders. There was the initial deposit but otherwise it still comes out way ahead of Sodastream. 

Those fridges are good though. I have one of the previous series, but I would buy another one whenever it karks it. Fits perfectly in my bar too. 

As the guys said above, get a 6kg gas bottle and store it outside. It will carb/dispense about 500L of beer so should last about a year.

My LHBS refills the Kegking/Kegland bottles for $55 so much much cheaper then sodastream.

The only other thing I would look into getting is a full seal/oring kit for the kegs, as I don't believe Kegland recondition them before selling the $46 second hand ones. The last thing you want is to get the whole setup and find a keg leaks. For a few bucks grab an oring kit and recondition the kegs with fresh seals :).

Mitch.

Ok is this right up my alley as I have made two keggers over the last month, what I call my prototype and them my genuine article  ... so things to consider are: The quality of the disconnects. The cheap packages offer crap disconnect which have a great chance of leaking so over night the soda stream bottle may be GOORRNNNE or the keg maybe empty .... do you want a Kegorator or something a bit more versatile? For example you could pick up an up right fridge cheap, I got one for free, on MarketPlace or Gumtree and convert that to a keg fridge .... You can pick up a reasonable quality 3 tap set with a manifold, cheap disconnects, lines and clips for around $120.00 on ebay and second hand kegs which have been reconditioned and pressure tested  for $50.00 .  A full 6kg gas bottle can be bought on ebay for just over $70 when on special and a reg for a $50.00 and if you live in Vic you can pick it all up or pay frieght which naturally adds to costs if not in Vic ...  I made my 3 tap keg fridge which holds 4 kegs, a dozen stubbies and my yeast bank for a tad under $400 with good stainless disconnects. The kicker is after selling my old bottles and other stuff I had acquired while in the process of buying secondhand stuff and picking the eyes out of it I am $50.00 ahead ...  so if you are handy own a drill and a 22 mm hole saw you can build your own to the specs you want ... 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Ok is this right up my alley as I have made two keggers over the last month, what I call my prototype and them my genuine article  ... so things to consider are: The quality of the disconnects. The cheap packages offer crap disconnect which have a great chance of leaking so over night the soda stream bottle may be GOORRNNNE or the keg maybe empty .... do you want a Kegorator or something a bit more versatile? For example you could pick up an up right fridge cheap, I got one for free, on MarketPlace or Gumtree and convert that to a keg fridge .... You can pick up a reasonable quality 3 tap set with a manifold, cheap disconnects, lines and clips for around $120.00 on ebay and second hand kegs which have been reconditioned and pressure tested  for $50.00 .  A full 6kg gas bottle can be bought on ebay for just over $70 when on special and a reg for a $50.00 and if you live in Vic you can pick it all up or pay frieght which naturally adds to costs if not in Vic ...  I made my 3 tap keg fridge which holds 4 kegs, a dozen stubbies and my yeast bank for a tad under $400 with good stainless disconnects. The kicker is after selling my old bottles and other stuff I had acquired while in the process of buying secondhand stuff and picking the eyes out of it I am $50.00 ahead ...  so if you are handy own a drill and a 22 mm hole saw you can build your own to the specs you want ... 

Unfortunately I'm am quite time poor these days. And talent with tools was never my thing. The thing I seem to mix up. Is in that setup can you ferment in there too?  Or does the fridge need to be cold/serving temp instead of ferment temp...

12 minutes ago, drewbert said:

Unfortunately I'm am quite time poor these days. And talent with tools was never my thing. The thing I seem to mix up. Is in that setup can you ferment in there too?  Or does the fridge need to be cold/serving temp instead of ferment temp...

The fridge that you are serving from will need to be at fridge temps as this houses the kegs. So no fermenting in the keg fridge. 

My setup is basically the same as @Martyg1525230168. I have two taps through the front of the fridge door and 3 gas lines and disconnects coming from the manifold. This means I can have two serving at all times and while they are serving one is ageing and carbing on the 3rd gas line. That way as soon as a keg runs out, I simply swap the liquid disconnect onto the full keg, ferment a new brew and it can then age and carb in the fridge while I'm drinking the other two.

Works perfect 🙂

See my setup below. 

received_2422988817936181.jpeg

Edited by MitchellScott

7 hours ago, drewbert said:

Is in that setup can you ferment in there too?  Or does the fridge need to be cold/serving temp instead of ferment temp...

@MitchellScott is 100% correct ... can't do both in same fridge simultaneously .... Can do a cold crash and serve beer though as serving temp and cold crash temp are pretty much the same ...