Coopers Community

All Grain Pilsner

Howdy, I’d like to throw down a Pilsner and have er lagered and rtd for the warmer months. I’ve got ales coming out the wazoo.

It’s my first AG Pilsner so was looking for any pointers or a recommendation in a tried and true recipe.

I was going to run with 97% Pilsner malt and 3% carapils 

saaz

and a what ever Pilsner/lager yeast I can get a hold of 

should I be doing protein tests and all that jaz?

TIA

Naturally I'm a big fan of my recipe 😂

No protein rests or anything, I don't see the point personally with today's malts. I do use a step mash of sorts though, starting at 63, then 72, then 78 mashout. However you could probably just use a single infusion at 66/67 as well. 

Most of the bitterness comes from early boil additions, with a couple of late ones in there for a bit of flavour and aroma. Boil time is 90+ minutes. Pitch a lot of yeast and ferment it around 10-12 degrees. 

• Haha 2

Yep... obviously OVB knows it with this one. I have done straight ale malt and early and late saaz and it was good. Other one was 3.5kg Weyerman Pils with early n late saaz n that was good too. 

Keep it SIMPLE and let all the simple things shine with a faultless method.

• Like 1

I would skip the Carapils unless you have some you want to use up. Just go 100% of a nice pils malt for the base, European is always good, but so is Gladfield if that's readily available.

Give it a decent hit of bitterness (maybe 45 IBU for a 1.050-ish OG) and a decent dose of very late boil or flameout hops.

Wyeast 2278 is a nice yeast IMO, but even the Coopers ale / lager kit yeast blend does a good job at lager temps if you have some of those lying around. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Naturally I'm a big fan of my recipe 😂

No protein rests or anything, I don't see the point personally with today's malts. I do use a step mash of sorts though, starting at 63, then 72, then 78 mashout. However you could probably just use a single infusion at 66/67 as well. 

Most of the bitterness comes from early boil additions, with a couple of late ones in there for a bit of flavour and aroma. Boil time is 90+ minutes. Pitch a lot of yeast and ferment it around 10-12 degrees. 

Hey Otto how are you mate!? Hey Is this famous Pils recipe of your available to all and sundry by chance!? 
cheers 🍻