Coopers Community

Coopers Beer bottles

Snap

Having issues with new Cooper Bottles & caps not sealing when bottling Brew ?

I take off the bottom ring of the caps to ensure a good seal as I have always done but I am finding my bottles not keeping the gas inside :-(

I renewed our bottles after 4 years because the old ones had done a lot of work.

Very disappointed to say the least. Lost about 30 bottles last brew :-( out of 190.

• Sad 1

The way I see it. How the caps are designed. There's no seal inside the cap, but a sealing ring.
Twist the cap until you feel some resistance. Then twist it a bit more. This way it will seat the sealing ring properly over the bottle's mouth.

I use a 3 stage process.

Immediately after filling each bottle, I do the lid firm.

After filling all bottles, go through them, and nip them up.

Then as I place them in the cupboard to condition, double check to ensure all is tight.

I also ensure that the order is different for each stage.

• Like 2

As Shamus wrote, tighten with a tea towel. This not only gives you a firm grip but saves you a few callouses.
I've only suffered the occasional soft bottle but when I have I disposed of the cap because it's the most likely culprit of the failure.
Also, I only remove the old rings if I'm using a brand new cap because it has it's own ring but with a ring or no ring probably wouldn't make any difference to your seal anyway.
Good luck with future bottles.

• Like 1