Coopers Community

ESVA 2019 recipe

I tried the 2019 ESVA the other night and I really enjoyed it. 

I've just reviewed the recipe after changing the link for the 2018 ROTM version, seems pretty simple, however there's an issue.

I plugged the ingredients into ianh spreadsheet and although it's ABV is bang on at 7.5% (in the bottle), it's saying the IBU is only 35.1, yet the recipe states it is an IBU of 60.

Given the recipe only includes a FO and  30 min steep of cascade and mosaic, there's no IBUs added when factoring that into the spreadsheet.

Am I missing something?

The IanH spreadsheet does not calculate IBU's from FO hop additions.  You will still get some bitterness from this addition, especially if added moments after you kill the heat.  The wort will still be 100°C and by the end of the 30 minute steep will cool to about 70°C.  Bitterness extraction will continue from the start and drop off as the temperature drops.

Do not forget to reduce the batch size in the IanH spreadsheet from the usual 23L to 21L for this recipe, that will up the IBU's from the English Bitter to 36.9.  Plus say 15 IBU's from the FO addition gets you up around 52 IBU's.

That is my thought on the matter.  Others might have another explanation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Am I missing something?

Yes. The official posted recipe.

Although clever to anticipate a posting for the 2019 ESVA DIY version, all you have discovered is a pre-prepared webpage set-up in anticipation for it.

Wait for the official listed recipe & link. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at the recipe listing in the current '19 link, the wheat malt extract would need to be subbed out for a pre-hopped kit (like the AUS Pale Ale), OR a hop boil would be required to hit the desired 60 IBU level.

I'd be looking for a change in one or both of those areas once the official recipe listing is published.

My delivery of the commercial version will arrive later this morning. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree. I think from memory that most recipes have been an APA and real ale toucan until last year when they changed to one of the TC cans. Be interesting to see what the final recipe will be. 

I haven't made an ESVA yet. But I rkn my favourite one to date was either the 2016 or 2017 vintage. 

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

My delivery of the commercial version will arrive later this morning. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

I brought a couple home with me tonight. Yum. 🥰

You can already see how it will improve with further ageing.

Good stuff @Coopers. Another very nice Vintage. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

I’m gonna have to buy another 6-pack for ageing cuz there’s no way any of this 6 is gonna last very long...

That's the trouble with it, it's sooo bloody more-ish! 🤣

What I love about it so much is the chameleon aspects of it as it ages. It takes on different & noticeable levels through time in the bottle, that is really cool.

Given all the craft breweries out there these days across the globe & their multitude of beers on offer, I don't know of a beer in this same spectrum that even comes close to this beer that Coopers make & re-engineer each year.

Proud South Australian. 🙂

Lusty.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

That's the trouble with it, it's sooo bloody more-ish! 🤣

What I love about it so much is the chameleon aspects of it as it ages. It takes on different & noticeable levels through time in the bottle, that is really cool.

Given all the craft breweries out there these days across the globe & their multitude of beers on offer, I don't know of a beer in this same spectrum that even comes close to this beer that Coopers make & re-engineer each year.

Proud South Australian. 🙂

Lusty.

This is the first year I’ve tried it - but I’m now really keen to age a few bottles and see how it changes. And I’ll now be joining the ranks of folks that look forward to the release every year.

Your craft beer comment is spot on - the ESVA seems so different to anything else I’ve tried recently - not at all what you’d expect from a major brewery.

• Like 3

Yeah there will be enough malt sweetness from the EB kit & crystal malt additions.

The recipe is unchanged from the one Karlos found, which surprises me. I can see 50 IBU from the EB kit @ 21 litres, but am unsure of where the remaining 10 IBU's are coming from given there is no boiling of hops. Coopers must be using a new calculator or something that is suggesting added IBU from the hop steep. 🤔

It's interesting to compare with previous Vintage Ale recipes given their stated IBU numbers & the methods used to create them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Yeah there will be enough malt sweetness from the EB kit & crystal malt additions.

The recipe is unchanged from the one Karlos found, which surprises me. I can see 50 IBU from the EB kit @ 21 litres, but am unsure of where the remaining 10 IBU's are coming from given there is no boiling of hops. Coopers must be using a new calculator or something that is suggesting added IBU from the hop steep. 🤔

It's interesting to compare with previous Vintage Ale recipes given their stated IBU numbers & the methods used to create them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm sure you will get some bitterness from the hop steep given they said to add them in right on flame out. 

Whether or not it's 10IBU I'm not sure but you'll certainly get a bit. 

I'm guessing Coopers would test these sort of calculations before releasing the recipe? 

Gonna put this down this weekend seeing as i have pretty much everything bar the english bitter tin in one form or another. The differences will be i will be mashing 1kg malted wheat and 1kg pale ale malt plus the 300g crystal. I also only have 500gm dex so im going to invert 500gm sugar instead for the other half.

Hopefully it turns out great 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

I'm sure you will get some bitterness from the hop steep given they said to add them in right on flame out. 

Whether or not it's 10IBU I'm not sure but you'll certainly get a bit. 

I'm guessing Coopers would test these sort of calculations before releasing the recipe? 

I haven't brewed the DIY ESVA for a few years now, but might brew this one to test it against the commercial version.

It's a very interesting combo for the home brew version this year. Excluding the EB kit & the Mosaic, I think I have everything else already here.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

...I also only have 500gm dex so im going to invert 500gm sugar instead for the other half.

Hopefully it turns out great 🙂

I'd be careful going the invert sugar route with 500gms. The process basically makes a crystal/caramelised fermentable sugar from a sugar cane source. I know you can create lighter versions but I'd still be worried about adding in any more sweetness to this recipe above what is already in the recipe as the large dextrose amount appears to be somewhat of a balancer to the EB kit & crystal malt additions.

Best of luck with your version,

Lusty.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'd be careful going the invert sugar route with 500gms. The process basically makes a crystal/caramelised fermentable sugar from a sugar cane source. I know you can create lighter versions but I'd still be worried about adding in any more sweetness to this recipe above what is already in the recipe as the large dextrose amount appears to be somewhat of a balancer to the EB kit & crystal malt additions.

Best of luck with your version,

Lusty.

Yeah good point lusty re the sweetness. You scared me away from the invert sugar route. Going to buy some more dex and go with the kilo. Really like the sound of the hop combo. Dont know why i have never tried it before seeing as i have had cascade and mosaic together many times.

• Like 1

This is gonna be my next brew to go down, I have everything needed now.

Since I am kegging and want the 7.5% ABV, I am guessing I should just add an extra 150g Dex to the brew to achieve this? Since really the carb drops are just sugar added when bottling anyway?

Mitch.