Coopers Community

Gotta love tax time!

Gavin_currie1

9 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Awesome stuff man. Its definitely something for me to consider. They are just awesome looking units and makes me wanna get into AG hahaha. I always told myself I would just stick with extract but its surely a slippery slope.
Where are you getting bulk grain from? I'll have to suss out at my LHBS and see how much he does grain bills for, or if he sells bulk grains.

Also, was there any other reason other then the bigger size and price that you went for the Guten over the BrewZilla? I have watched a few vids on YouTube and most lean towards the BrewZilla for build quality.

Goodluck with the first brew, keep us updated!

Mitch.

So I buy from Cheeky Peaks, and their Barrett Burston is considerably cheaper for 20kg like from .0035 cent a gram to .0018 cent a gram when you buy more the  20kg.

I was told buy a seller of the two systems that they have had a lot more issues with the brewzilla over the Guten and they recommended that one over the other, months before I bought. I don't know but the price was right so I chose the sale and the system I really I wanted. If It was the normal $699 price I would of passed or bought the smaller system or biab from cheeky peaks. They have great systems with grain baskets for their biab, I was looking at them but I saw the sale at keg land.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Just looked up my latest pale for cost.

25l batch OG was 1.052

Malt came to just under $12

200g of hops come in at around $9

whirlfloc 30c 

yeast, I reuse over and over but let’s say $3

$24.30

Which is equal to 97c a litre. Or 48c a pint. 

200g hops for under $10 😮

Wow.

Very good prices. Do you buy hops in bulk also?

2 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

That's super cheap, well done! 

It was actually a bit of a challenge for myself to see if I can make a really good tasting pale ale using the cheaper hops. 

Not the sole reason, but one of. 

I really like cascade and mosaic, and those together are amazing 

• Like 1

My batches normally are in the range of $15-$30. It just depends on the style. My red ale is probably the cheapest because it doesn't use a lot of hops. Pale ales are generally around $20-22 a batch. Pilsners and IPA would be the most expensive brews, although I haven't done an IPA in a while. I don't really count the yeast cost; since I reuse it so many times it works out at like 60-70c a batch. 

I get in on grain bulk buys whenever I can which saves a bit, at least for base malt. Don't really need a 25kg sack of crystal or something sitting around for years 😂. Hops I can get between $3 and $7 per 100g depending on the variety, and the dollar if I buy from the US. This last order their prices were the same but it cost more because the dollar is lower than last time, but still the most expensive variety was under $7/100g after converting. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My batches normally are in the range of $15-$30. It just depends on the style. My red ale is probably the cheapest because it doesn't use a lot of hops. Pale ales are generally around $20-22 a batch. Pilsners and IPA would be the most expensive brews, although I haven't done an IPA in a while. I don't really count the yeast cost; since I reuse it so many times it works out at like 60-70c a batch. 

I get in on grain bulk buys whenever I can which saves a bit, at least for base malt. Don't really need a 25kg sack of crystal or something sitting around for years 😂. Hops I can get between $3 and $7 per 100g depending on the variety, and the dollar if I buy from the US. This last order their prices were the same but it cost more because the dollar is lower than last time, but still the most expensive variety was under $7/100g after converting. 

Where do you source your hops from?