Coopers Community

Gotta love tax time!

Gavin_currie1

Buzzing with my new set up! Bought the kegerator and a corny this week, couldn’t be happier! Got a Kölsch in fv at the moment, gonna keg that and have a centennial/citra pale ready to have my first 2 beers on tap by the time my old man gets here in sep!!! Happy man.

31A84DF1-839C-4951-8464-7300B5F0454B.jpeg

33EFC5C6-49DF-4FDC-B0B8-F95841764AD9.jpeg

• Like 9

Nice one. You won't look back with that setup. 

Just a tip though, stick a glass of water in there and measure the temperature of it. Those units have a tendency to not be at the same temp as the display shows. I've been monitoring mine this week, the water sits about 3 degrees higher than the display, and the kegs are about 6 degrees higher for some reason. 

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nice one. You won't look back with that setup. 

Just a tip though, stick a glass of water in there and measure the temperature of it. Those units have a tendency to not be at the same temp as the display shows. I've been monitoring mine this week, the water sits about 3 degrees higher than the display, and the kegs are about 6 degrees higher for some reason. 

Yeah I noticed that, the display says 14 but the temp on the fv says 16.

Done mine this week, hopefully will be getting a kegerator with it when it comes in!

Plan on getting a kegland kegerator 2 Tap , 2 Kegs bundle for about $790 including freight to Perth.

Have to do the assembly myself but that should be fairly easy hopefully.

Think I got my last kegerator for $1300 all assembled, so will be saving a fair bit this time round.

Fingers crossed !!

Cheers

James

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gavin_currie1 said:

Yeah I noticed that, the display says 14 but the temp on the fv says 16.

I know the display is the air temperature in there, and if it's fermenting it will be warmer, but with mine set to -1 and cycling between that and 1, I'd expect a glass of water to be sitting somewhere between those two temps, not at almost 3 where it currently is. It warmed up a degree overnight for some reason. I just tested a glass of beer, the first pour into another glass to clear the warm beer from the line and chill down the tap, then filled a second chilled glass to try to keep the temp of the glass close to the beer itself and it was sitting at 5.6. I know it's not warm, but it's still significantly warmer than where the thing is set to. 

Once these two beer kegs are empty and out I'm gonna do a proper defrost and clean it, and plug up the hole in the back where the gas lines come in, as well as make sure the door seal is actually sealing. I'll also put a container of calcium chloride in there to soak up whatever moisture might be in there. Hopefully that will help it chill down further. 

Nice set up. I can imagine your Dad's face when you pour one for him of your brew! Awesome.

I talked my wife into letting me get an all grain brew set up, not sure what I will get but it will be something! I bet you spent a fair time browsing, me too!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Paddy. I hope it goes smoothly. I had a pretty good process but the cost benefits just screamed to go AG. Once I get some centennial, cascade and Victoria rhizomes I should be able to cut some of my brews costs to rock bottom, which would have this paid for in no time!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Thanks Paddy. I hope it goes smoothly. I had a pretty good process but the cost benefits just screamed to go AG. Once I get some centennial, cascade and Victoria rhizomes I should be able to cut some of my brews costs to rock bottom, which would have this paid for in no time!

What are the sort of costs involved in your typical AG 5% ABV brew? Much cheaper then extract?

I'm tossing up whether to consider getting something like a Guten or Brewzilla for Chrissy.

40 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

What are the sort of costs involved in your typical AG 5% ABV brew? Much cheaper then extract?

I'm tossing up whether to consider getting something like a Guten or Brewzilla for Chrissy.

As said by others, if you buy bulk grains you can get the wort done for around $10 to $12 and then the hops will be, on the high average end, $10-$15 for 150g depending on style, but for an ale it could be higher. The yeast can be used across several batches which can pretty much cut that cost to $2-5 a batch depending on reuse or whatever method you choose. So compared to $15-17 for a can of Coopers and the $8 or more for kg of malt and then the hops and yeast would be the same, so overall you get the savings from the $10 or more per batch from mashing it yourself. That is the opportunity cost and benefit, the time it takes to get what you would from the kit and kilo and the savings you get from doing it. So conservatively, if I do 15 batches this year, it will be around $150 in savings, or so. So when the warranty for this goes out it will have paid for itself or sooner at $500 and counting so far. I don't expect any additional costs....hahahha

Edited by Norris!

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

As said by others, if you buy bulk grains you can get a probably get the wort for done for around $10 to $12 and then the hops will be, on the high average end, $10-$15 for 150g depending on style, but for an ale it could be higher. The yeast can be used across several batches which can pretty much cut that cost to $2-5 a batch depending on reuse or whatever method you choose. So compared to $15-17 for a can of Coopers and the $8 or more for kg of malt and then the hops and yeast would be the same, so overall you get the savings from the $10 or more per batch from mashing it yourself. That is the opportunity cost and benefit, the time it takes to get what you would from the kit and kilo and the savings you get from doing it. So conservatively, if I do 15 batches this year, it will be around $150 in savings, or so. So when the warranty for this goes out it will have paid for itself or sooner at $500 and counting so far. I don't expect any additional costs....hahahha

Awesome stuff man. Its definitely something for me to consider. They are just awesome looking units and makes me wanna get into AG hahaha. I always told myself I would just stick with extract but its surely a slippery slope.
Where are you getting bulk grain from? I'll have to suss out at my LHBS and see how much he does grain bills for, or if he sells bulk grains.

Also, was there any other reason other then the bigger size and price that you went for the Guten over the BrewZilla? I have watched a few vids on YouTube and most lean towards the BrewZilla for build quality.

Goodluck with the first brew, keep us updated!

Mitch.

• Thanks 1