550 g

oil

38 g

brown sugar

25 g

salt

15 g

Method

Mix, and do a couple of short kneads at 10 minute intervals.
Leave to rise for 3-4 hours.
Divide into 100g portions, preshape into balls.
Either poke a hole in the middle with your finger, and stretch the hole
or roll into long 'ropes', wind over your hand and seal the join by rubbing the ends of the rope together.
Retard in the fridge overnight (spray with oil, cover with plastic, put in a plastic bag)

The next day - bring a large pot to boil. Add a handful of brown sugar
Add as many bagels as will fit in a single layer (I can fit three)
Turn after 30 secs (cook for 1 min in total) - drain and put back on the tray
top with your choice of topping
Bake in the oven at ~200C for ~20 mins

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NewBrews said:

...Used Thursday’s discard for yesterday/todays loaf.

They make great morning crusty pancakes. I made a couple up the other morning with my discard. Threw some diced bacon & onion on top & just grilled them in a pan on the stove top.

Really yummy. 🤤

Still feeding my starter daily.

Edit: I noticed recently a prominent bakery in NSW has begun selling their 23yr old sourdough to the public.

https://thebrag.com/bourke-street-bakery-is-selling-their-23-year-old-sourdough-starter/

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, Beerlust said:

Still feeding my starter daily.

When you arre ready to back, some malted grain goes well. It's a sneaky way to get some sugars in without adding sugar. That powdery dust left over from the grain mill is good too.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, Ben 10 said:

https://sourdough.com/blog/sourdom/beginners-blog-starter-scratch is the starter I made.

Mine is now 10 years old and going strong, it survived well in the fridge with no use for 3 months last year.

I take it out, use a few tablespoons and replace what I took with water and flour, straight back into the fridge.

I started my first starter on Sunday having been tempted to try it for a while.  Fed it today and it double in size in about 2 hours. Feeling confident it will be good for dough on Friday.  
I did cheat a bit a scooped about 2ml of yeast off some old trub that had been in the fridge for over a month. It went off like a rocket. Smells great.  Started with 50g water, 50g flour, 2ml yeast solution. 
Edit: May have been 5ml yeast Solution, but no more. 🤔

68E96C3C-F0E3-431D-8685-8DC3B90D080D.jpeg

9146722E-F945-41F9-BE3D-FA22E6CB7990.jpeg

Edited by Abbot-67
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 6:34 AM, Ben 10 said:

Looks good but you did cheat

I did 😋

but not a commercial bread yeast...   beer Trub yeast, All in the spirit of home brewing 😔

Edited by Abbot-67

• 1 month later...

Still working to get the proper sourdough bread...

SDBread-1.jpg

Loaf 1...

SDBread-2.jpg

Loaf 2.

They are NOT true sourdough loaves. I made a leaven mixture from a sourdough source the day before, but I admit I am not doing this leavening process well enough yet or my time frames are not right, & maybe am not prepping the yeast to a suitable level prior to adding to the main dough yet. 🤔

Both loaves were mixed in with a fast acting yeast in the end & although I haven't sliced a bit off yet, they no doubt will be really tasty. There's a bit of sourdough yeast in them.

I have an active culture going that I started a week before ANZAC day, & plan to keep it going to ultimately produce a loaf purely from it.

Edit-: Just cut a slice off & buttered it. Terrific bread. If you could get this stuff daily, you would never buy soft loaf bread from the store ever again.

Living & learning. 🙂

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Just cut a slice off & buttered it. Terrific bread.

Still need to show us a slice of bread. That way we can we can be critical... the second one looks good though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Still need to show us a slice of bread. That way we can we can be critical... the second one looks good though.

For your eyes only... 😉

PartSoughBreadSlice.jpg

There's a good cheats recipe out there for this sort of bread that I followed but for this one I added the overnight leaven sourdough to it.

@Ben 10 How did I do Sensei?

Your humble sourdough bread student,

Lusty.

• Like 2