supernerdy

Beer food

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Any tips on kneading/prepping the dough before baking Benny?

Yes. Don't.

I used the below for the bread pictured above. I used more flour. Go by feel.
I also used only plain flour.

The Ultimate Fast Sourdough

Yield: One 9-inch round loaf.

Equipment: A 4½- to 5½-quart heavy pot with lid; a large piece of parchment paper.

100 grams prepared starter (such as King Arthur Classic Fresh Sourdough Starter, $8.95) 
200 grams (about 1 1/4 cups, plus 2 tablespoons) unbleached all-purpose flour
100 grams (about 2/3 cup) whole wheat flour
6 grams (about 1 teaspoon) fine sea salt
230 grams (about 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon) 65F-70F water
Wheat bran, for dusting

1. In a large bowl, combine the white flour, wheat flour, and salt and whisk to combine. In a small bowl, whisk the starter and water until the starter is fully dissolved. Pour the starter mixture into the flour, and use a flexible spatula to quickly mix. Cover the bowl loosely with a clean kitchen towel, and let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.  

2. Turn the dough, pulling it off the sides of the bowl and folding into the center as you turn; work it as little as possible. Cover loosely and let rest for 30 minutes before turning the dough again. After approximately 5 turns, or 2 ½ to 3 hours, the dough should be ready. (Don’t expect to see a big increase in size in this dough—by turning the dough every half-hour, you are doing what I call the lazy man’s version of kneading the dough—improving the texture without much effort.) 

Note: How do you tell when it’s ready? You want it to get to the point where it is capable of holding a shape, and not ooze into a pancake when you shape it into a ball.  It should be so interested in sticking to itself that it easily peels off the bowl when ready to shape.   

3. Place a large piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan and cover with wheat bran, so that you can no longer see the paper. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and form it loosely into a ball: hold it with both hands and gently tug the sides down and under, into the middle of the dough, to make a taut ball; don’t let the dough tear. Set the dough seam side down on the bran-coated paper. Dust the top of the dough lightly with more bran. Cover loosely with the towel and let it sit at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

4. Preheat the oven to 500F (450F if your oven runs hot). Preheat a cast-iron ovenproof pot with tight-fitting lid, such as Le Creuset, in the oven. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the dough on the parchment into the pot. Use a serrated knife to score the loaf with a long slash, to allow the dough to expand. Cover the pot immediately and place the pot in the oven.

5. Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes with the lid on.  Carefully remove the lid and tear off any excess parchment. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes with the lid off, until the crust is a very, very dark brown.  (I urge you to let the bread cook, uncovered, until the top of the bread nearly blackens and the sides reach a very, very, very dark brown.) Remove the loaf from the pot. Cool the loaf on a wire rack. The loaf will continue to cook as it cools, so try to wait an hour or so before cutting into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made a loaf for a colleague at work today who scored me some flour. It's almost impossible to get around here. I haven't seen it on the shelves for a long time.

My oven is pretty ordinary. I used the one in at work and it really helped give it some colour.

IMG20200409093048.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

I made a loaf for a colleague at work today who scored me some flour. It's almost impossible to get around here. I haven't seen it on the shelves for a long time.

My oven is pretty ordinary. I used the one in at work and it really helped give it some colour.

IMG20200409093048.jpg

Looks delicious, Popo. I've been on the hunt for plain flour in Adelaide lately. Nothing doing. I grabbed a bag of SR flour as it was the only thing available apart from cornflour and West Gambian gluten free coconut flour. 

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Looks delicious, Popo. I've been on the hunt for plain flour in Adelaide lately. Nothing doing. I grabbed a bag of SR flour as it was the only thing available apart from cornflour and West Gambian gluten free coconut flour. 

Haha - it's much the same here. I was stoked with the bulk flour. She gave me a heap of self raising too. I don't do any baking other than bread so I'll have to figure out what I want to make with it.

I vacuum sealed it into portions. It looks like I've got a heap of cocaine bricks stashed in the cupboard. I could arrange a shipment but it might get picked up along the way.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

I vacuum sealed it into portions. It looks like I've got a heap of cocaine bricks stashed in the cupboard. I could arrange a shipment but it might get picked up along the way.

The name Popo does sound a bit like a Mexican drug lord's nickname. Hahaha.

I live in a community of fast food addicts that largely don't know how to cook for themselves or are too damn lazy.

I bought a 2kg bag of plain flour last night, but could have easily grabbed 40kgs at my local shop. LOL 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes. Don't.

I used the below for the bread pictured above. I used more flour. Go by feel.
I also used only plain flour.

Thanks mate. 😎

Have saved the recipe too.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

"How's the sourdough culture coming along?"

SourdoughCulture_10-4-20.jpg

....Boomin' Jack,...BOOMIN'! 😊

I'm almost at the point where I'm scared to feed it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 4

Much sadness last night.

Went and got my starter out to feed it, opened the lid and bang, huge stench of vomit and a good layer of something growing on top of it.

Down the sink it went, so new starter kicking off in the morning.

😭

• Sad 2

Yeast starter was going great guns. Put it in the fridge for a day, brought out the night before & something just not right about it. I thought buggar it, it must just be sleeping, so made the bread. Little to no rising throughout the process. End result = brick = binned. 

On the positive side, I did smoke up some really nice beef on the same day that went down really well.

Ohh well, I'll have another go at the bread again soon.

Lusty.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Yeast starter was going great guns. Put it in the fridge for a day, brought out the night before

Anthony, how old was it?

I'm guessing waaaay too young to be fridged.

Feed, discard some, feed, discard some for ages.......

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Anthony, how old was it?

I'm guessing waaaay too young to be fridged.

Feed, discard some, feed, discard some for ages.......

There you have it. That's what I did wrong.

Live & learn.

Thanks Ben.

Lusty.

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

There you have it. That's what I did wrong.

Mine is over 10 years old. It takes some time to get the balance.

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Mine is over 10 years old. It takes some time to get the balance.

Yup. Admittedly I didn't realise it was that frail.

No biggy. Only a bit of flour & water lost. I'll build up another batch next week & have another crack that I'm sure will be more successful.

Thanks again. 🙂

Lusty.

10 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Thats a real shame @Beerlust

I was really hoping this would be a cracker for ya.

It's all good Capt. I made a mistake chilling a baby starter of it that I didn't realise would create a problem. We all have to learn somehow.

I love sourdough bread too much to give up on this trail! 😉

@Ben 10 Is 100gms of this baby starter enough to use (when ready) in the recipe you posted? I noticed the yeast listed appeared to be NOT of a fresh naturally cultured source.

Cheers,

Lusty.

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

@Ben 10 Is 100gms of this baby starter enough to use (when ready) in the recipe you posted? I noticed the yeast listed appeared to be NOT of a fresh naturally cultured source.

Should be as long as it is ACTIVE.
And in the recipe it looks to me like they are suggesting to buy a starter rather than making one. People do buy them. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 8:57 PM, Ben 10 said:

...Feed, discard some, feed, discard some for ages.......

Heya Ben, have you ever thought of using what you might ordinarily discard for something like this...

I could get into this.

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Heya Ben, have you ever thought of using what you might ordinarily discard for something like this...

I don't need to discard anything anymore..... but they look good

On 8/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, der kleine Drache said:

TWO PINTS OF LAGER AND A PACKET OF CRISPS

This was a comedy thing back in the early 80's..."Two cans of Fosters and a packet of chips, please" with the punter getting increasingly agitated with the barman. That was the "A" side. On the "B" side was "The Barman's Reply" with the barman either in conversation on the phone or with another punter. Havent googled to see who recorded it in Oz.

While waiting for my starter to kick into gear I thought I’d give a regular loaf a go.

Came up ok!

4AF8F62A-AAEA-4162-BD12-4D198B0CF206.jpeg

• Like 2

NICE!

Slash the top next time, looks more betterer

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

NICE!

Slash the top next time, looks more betterer

I did think of it. Probably do another one Friday so I might slash it then and see how it goes.