Coopers Community

Beer food

supernerdy

On 8/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, der kleine Drache said:

I prefer southern german Helles or Export before northern german Pilsener with Sauerkraut. I think the slight sweetness makes a good companion to the sour and fatty tastes.

Schweinswuerste (pork sausages) and sauerkraut or go the whole hog and have a nice Helles with Wammerl (pork belly)/Schweinshaxn (pork knuckle) and Semmelknoedel (bavarian style dumplings) 🙂 

Now I'm hungry 😂

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Sourdough is great. I've been getting in to making it regularly for the last 6 months or so.

I tried in vain to get my own starter going but failed several times. I got hold of a starter from my brother in law. It sat in the back of the fridge for a while but took off fairly quickly.

I really enjoy the process and the end result is always pretty satisfying.

https://alexandracooks.com/2017/10/24/artisan-sourdough-made-simple-sourdough-bread-demystified-a-beginners-guide-to-sourdough-baking/

I've found that one to be a good starting point.IMG20200222182723.thumb.jpg.a7f387f1a84417df7911097bb2ec59ad.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NewBrews said:

What’s your recipe?

https://sourdough.com/blog/sourdom/beginners-blog-starter-scratch is the starter I made.

Mine is now 10 years old and going strong, it survived well in the fridge with no use for 3 months last year.

I take it out, use a few tablespoons and replace what I took with water and flour, straight back into the fridge.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Kind of had some advantage. Worked at a bakery for a while after leaving school, albeit 30 odd years ago. Be nice if I could get some actual bread flour rather that just boring old all purpose plain flour.

The loaf looks the goods, NB. Coincidentally I was a Tip Top bread carter about 30 odd years ago. I didn't really learn much about making it though.
I'd give up a toilet roll for a kg of plain flour at the moment. I did find a bag of SR flour yesterday but plain was the preference.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 AM, Ben 10 said:

IMG_20200402_195032.thumb.jpg.ac970f7620e8b59c7bef4bc45ee1e03a.jpg

I am building up my first sourdough culture as we speak for a planned crack at a loaf over the Easter weekend. It's fermenting away nicely & hopefully will be nice & creamy/frothy in a few more days time. Starting to get a nice smell to it too.

For those that perhaps didn't know, as far as breads go, sourdough bread is about as healthy as a bread can get for you. The naturally occurring wild yeast propagated to help produce the bread is said to be quite good for your internals as part of the bread it produces (TTBOMK). Much like sauerkraut & kimchi that use natural wild yeasts to ferment them & change their structures etc.

Might try & hunt down a nice dutch oven tomorrow to use for this.

Any tips on kneading/prepping the dough before baking Benny? (Can make or break the end result from what I've viewed) 🤔

Cheers & given this COVID-19 BS, I hope everyone can find a way to have a nice Easter weekend.

Lusty.

• Like 4

Hiya Capt. 🙂

3 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Good luck with it @Beerlust

I say a lot of stoopid sh!t on this forum but I truely hope this works out for ya. 

We’ve moved to a 2weeks on 2weeks off roster, gonna get me a mother started soon

Only time I've heard that term mentioned is to do with apple cider vinegar. Am I on the right track with what you're planning? 🤔

I'll make some form of bread, just not sure it'll look as pretty as the other boys that have had a bit of practice at it.

Edited by Beerlust

Just now, Beerlust said:

Hiya Capt. 🙂

Only time I've heard that term mentioned is to do with apple cider vinegar. Am I on the right track with what you're planning? 🤔

Nah just a starter that you pick bits from to ferment your dough, and just keep it going by replacing flour and what not. Some mothers have been going for decades in baking circles and villages. 
Might not be called a mother, I don’t know, that’s what people I know call em. 

Just now, The Captain!! said:

Nah just a starter that you pick bits from to ferment your dough, and just keep it going by replacing flour and what not. Some mothers have been going for decades in baking circles and villages. 
Might not be called a mother, I don’t know, that’s what people I know call em. 

Hearin' ya.

I was watching a video this morning about sourdough starters & baking them etc. & the guy backed up what Benny has done & said the sourdough culture gets better & better with age the longer you can keep it going.

For a guy at home to have a culture he has maintained & developed for 10 years now is very impressive in my book. Despite how good Ben's loaf looks, it must taste incredible!

HatsOff-Forum.jpg

Benny definitely gets a hat tip from me for that. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Hearin' ya.

I was watching a video this morning about sourdough starters & baking them etc. & the guy backed up what Benny has done & said the sourdough culture gets better & better with age the longer you can keep it going.

For a guy at home to have a culture he has maintained & developed for 10 years now is very impressive in my book. Despite how good Ben's loaf looks, it must taste incredible!

HatsOff-Forum.jpg

Benny definitely gets a hat tip from me for that. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep got to agree with ya mate. 
He takes the cake for his wide knowledge and making stuff for himself.

Is the reason I got into this hobby after all as I too like to make stuff myself. Everything homemade and grown just tastes better. 

• Like 2