Coopers Community

First all grain brew day

MitchBastard

Gave the guten a go and I think it went well.....no blunders or hairy moments except for one (see below lol)

wort is currently in a cube chilling for tomorrow. 

I came up a little short in terms of volume that will go into the fermentor. Was expecting 23L but came up bang on 20. I guess that’s a sparge volume issue??

Dang bottom screen/user error. Least it wasn’t in my wort!

20397BA7-D987-422F-B9C9-2965A9F28AC0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Thanks @Gully85 to be honest I was thinking half the time that I should have done AG earlier. Might be a premature thought though haha.

i didn’t do a pre boil reading and was going to wait to until I pitch for an SG. I ended up being a little pressed for time and just dumped it into a cube so I could make kindy pick up haha. 

I find pre boil readings useful, both for volume and SG. It allows for adjusting the boil time or hop additions if required, if you are targeting a certain IBU figure or volume and SG into the fermenter, as well as seeing how well or poorly the mash went before it ends up in the fermenter. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff mate. I too am only getting 20 litres into my cube once the boil is over.  Every brew you do you’ll learn more and get more familiar with the equipments. I always take pre and post boil readings as they  give you a good indication of where you’re at and are a good indicator of you being on the right path. I’m so keen to brew and brew but I have a bit of a stockpile at the mo so next one will be a bit off 

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Thanks @Otto Von Blotto @Greeny1525229549 @PaddyBrew2 & @Gully85 will endeavor to take readings where ever possible from now on. 

Question... are those readings done with a refractometer ??

on another note, BS predicted an OG of 1.046 and before pitching this morning my grav was exactly that. 

Cheers

It can be, or you can use a hydrometer. I use a hydrometer. The volume is recorded, then a sample of the hot wort is taken into what is essentially a Pyrex glass testing tube thingy, which is then put in the fridge. When the boil starts I take the reading as it has cooled down enough by then. Then tip the wort back into the boil minus the crap settled at the bottom of the sample. At the end I fill the cube then take some of the dregs into a Pyrex jug, and take the OG reading when it cools and the sludge has settled enough to allow me to fill a test tube with clear wort.

Was the fermenter volume the same also? Brewing efficiency is based on both volume and SG. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

15 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Gave the guten a go and I think it went well.....no blunders or hairy moments except for one (see below lol)

20397BA7-D987-422F-B9C9-2965A9F28AC0.jpeg

I'm visualising your wife: "And that's exactly why I don't want it in the house!"  😄 
Good luck with the rest of the brew, Mitch.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It can be, or you can use a hydrometer. I use a hydrometer. The volume is recorded, then a sample of the hot wort is taken into what is essentially a Pyrex glass testing tube thingy, which is then put in the fridge. When the boil starts I take the reading as it has cooled down enough by then. Then tip the wort back into the boil minus the crap settled at the bottom of the sample. At the end I fill the cube then take some of the dregs into a Pyrex jug, and take the OG reading when it cools and the sludge has settled enough to allow me to fill a test tube with clear wort.

Was the fermenter volume the same also? Brewing efficiency is based on both volume and SG. 

Ok sweet thanks mate. Will just stick with the hydrometer then

ive got 20L in my fermentor but my BS recipe was done at 23L.... 

Didn't quite hit it then, if it was 23 litres the OG would have been lower. But, that's pretty normal starting out so don't worry too much, it'll take a few batches to learn your system and work out volumes of water needed and grain weights, boil time etc. to achieve the recipe targets, or at least get close to them. Sounds like you need to start with a higher pre boil volume. This could be achieved by mashing in more water or sparging with more water, or a little of both.

With cubes, the 20 litre ones will probably only get you 21/22 litres into the fermenter at the most, assuming the sludge in the bottom is largely left behind which it should be if only to keep the fermenter trub level below the tap. 25 litre ones will allow for 23 litre batches or up to 25/26 litres. What size cubes do you have?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

ive got 20L in my fermentor but my BS recipe was done at 23L...

I got similar with my grainfather. Only done two brews in it, both about 3L short.  OG was way too high in both cases.  Added in 6L of water so final ABV was not too high.

I tweaked BS to get similar numbers to the grainfather software.  The original numbers in BS called for more water.  Seems like the grainfather software is a bit of a mess though.  Maybe the BS calcs were closer in the first place.  I am yet to go back into BS and retry the calcs using BS's default grainfather parameters.  That will be interesting to revisit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got similar with my grainfather. Only done two brews in it, both about 3L short.  OG was way too high in both cases.  Added in 6L of water so final ABV was not too high.

I tweaked BS to get similar numbers to the grainfather software.  The original numbers in BS called for more water.  Seems like the grainfather software is a bit of a mess though.  Maybe the BS calcs were closer in the first place.  I am yet to go back into BS and retry the calcs using BS's default grainfather parameters.  That will be interesting to revisit. 

How far over was your OG to what you were expecting?

8 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

How far over was your OG to what you were expecting?

Way over.

The Pale Ale was supposed to be 1.053 but was about 1.074

The Oatmeal Stout was supposed to be 1.051 but was 1.070

Both calcs were according to the grainfather software.  I haven't gone back to try the recipes in BS yet

Steep learning curve! 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@Otto Von Blotto i just re looked at my fermenter and I’ve got slightly over 21. 

I think next batch I’ll sparge with more water and see how we go....

ive got a 20L cube (it’s more of a rectangle) one of the jerry can style ones. When I went to Bunnings, it was either those or or the 15L ones.

I know the ones, I use a couple of them for storing distilled water. I reckon you'd be lucky to get much more out of them, if you want bigger batches you'll need bigger cubes. The highest I got from a 20L cube was 22 into the fermenter. Any extra would have only been chucked out anyway, trub is trub regardless of it being in the cube or fermenter. 

• Thanks 1