Coopers Community

Irish Reds

Aussiekraut

During a recent visit to Ireland, I rediscovered my taste for Irish red ales. Needless to say, I currently have an Irish Red in the fermenter 🙂 But every now and then, I'd like to get my hands on a commercial brew. Smithwick's is pretty much impossible to get (it isn't officially exported) and Kilkenny, the export version of Smithwick's red a) doesn't taste anything like it's yummy cousin and b) isn't particularly good in the first place imho. 

Dan Murphy's sells O'Hara's, which is not too bad a brew but I'd really like to get my hands on some Smithwick's. Has anybody had any success getting their hands on some?

Hey mate. Smithwicks is a lovely drop. But I can’t say I’ve seen it over here. It’s even hard to get in some parts of Ireland as tastes and preferences can be quite colloquial so it wouldn’t be drank far from where it’s brewed

im not a fan of Kilkenny either . I find it quite bland and even watery  

Edited by PaddyBrew2

@Aussiekraut Have you had a look at the International Beer importers into Oz? Like World of Beers.com.au or something like that? Plenty of them, google maybe your friend in this hunt.

Reckon it is your best bet if you are after a particular had to get tipple. Good luck with your hunt to get hold of a Smithwicks Red.

You are not related to Rick Stein by any chance? You bear an uncanny resemblance.

Cheers

On 8/9/2019 at 3:10 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Nope, no relation to Rick Stein 🙂 

Here was I thinking of inviting you over for dinner for cook off!!

Trust the Irish Red Ale is not too elusive and finds it way to your fridge sometime soon.

Cheers