Coopers Community

Centennaritra XPA

Just came up with this, going along the lines of the Centenarillo Ale but with some adjustments and additives.

Will probably put this down and see how it comes out once my next keg is emptied.

There is something about making up your own recipes that's enjoyable. Thoughts?

Should make for a nice Hoppy Summer XPA that will sneak up on you after a few... Or 10.

image.thumb.png.1f5bbd800237aa6158137325b81088d8.png

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 8

Hi Mitch.

It's a fairly big beer at around 5.6 - 6.0% ABV. Your primary bittering hop is only producing 15 IBU, & the two hops that follow it @ 15mins left in the boil are quite smooth co-humulone level hops that won't add much in the way of bitterness 'bite' despite the IBU numbers they list in the recipe.

Desired bitterness in a beer is a subjective thing from person to person. Some like their beer more bitter than others. With short boiled beers you often have to carry a little more weight of hop & have a higher IBU than what you might otherwise end up with using a long boiled hop to create enough bitterness so that the final beer does not end up sweet & lacking bitterness.

The Coopers DIY "Chubby Cherub" recipe is a good example of how to use added hop weight for a short boil to provide enough bitterness. The IBU number for this beer that has a similar weight of malt ingredients ends up in the low to mid 40's.

I'll be interested in your thoughts of your beer once on the pour.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Citrennarillo? 

I like that... Too bad I can't edit the title 😞

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Mitch.

It's a fairly big beer at around 5.6 - 6.0% ABV. Your primary bittering hop is only producing 15 IBU, & the two hops that follow it @ 15mins left in the boil are quite smooth co-humulone level hops that won't add much in the way of bitterness 'bite' despite the IBU numbers they list in the recipe.

Desired bitterness in a beer is a subjective thing from person to person. Some like their beer more bitter than others. With short boiled beers you often have to carry a little more weight of hop & have a higher IBU than what you might otherwise end up with using a long boiled hop to create enough bitterness so that the final beer does not end up sweet & lacking bitterness.

The Coopers DIY "Chubby Cherub" recipe is a good example of how to use added hop weight for a short boil to provide enough bitterness. The IBU number for this beer that has a similar weight of malt ingredients ends up in the low to mid 40's.

I'll be interested in your thoughts of your beer once on the pour.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

Interesting. This is my first go at a recipe like this. In the past I have done my own Clone and Wood and 150 Lashes recipes and was quite happy with both but both could also certainly be improved upon.
I might have a play and add some more hop weight in to get it closer to the 40ish mark. Like I said I am certainly open to ideas so appreciate the help 🙂

24 minutes ago, Smash said:

Looks like a nice one! Seems we have similar tastes! Any reason for the dextrose? Might make the beer a bit more sessionable without. What yeast are you thinking?

Cheers mate, I wanna have a go at it before summer so I can make any adjustments I feel necessary and have a better version on tap in the middle of summer. The Dex is really just to up the ABV. If I was bottling I probably wouldn't use it, but since I am kegging I'll use it to bump it up to the 5.5-5.6% mark which I think is where an XPA should sit. Yeast will probably be my go to US-05 for a clean ferment to let the hops shine through.

Edited by MitchellScott

10 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Interesting. This is my first go at a recipe like this. In the past I have done my own Clone and Wood and 150 Lashes recipes and was quite happy with both but both could also certainly be improved upon.

You obviously like these lower bittered hoppy styles.

The Stone & Wood Pacific Ale is a 4.4% ABV beer somewhere around the 18 IBU mark (I think? 🤔), the 150 Lashes is a 4.2% ABV beer listed at 18.5% ABV. The way you've structured your boil may well produce the balance you are looking for as is for your 5.6 - 6.0% ABV beer. If it does come out a little under-bittered for your tastes given the higher malt content of your recipe, but you like the malt/hop flavour etc. just up the Centennial weight next time you brew it, or boil the same weight of Centennial for longer to increase the IBU mark & perceivable bitterness level at the glass.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The Stone & Wood Pacific Ale is a 4.4% ABV beer somewhere around the 18 IBU mark (I think? 🤔), the 150 Lashes is a 4.2% ABV beer listed at 18.5% ABV. The way you've structured your boil may well produce the balance you are looking for as is for your 5.6 - 6.0% ABV beer. If it does come out a little under-bittered for your tastes given the higher malt content of your recipe, but you like the malt/hop flavour etc. just up the Centennial weight next time you brew it, or boil the same weight of Centennial for longer to increase the IBU mark & perceivable bitterness level at the glass.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers! 

I am slowly delving into higher IBU beers, especially IPAs etc. But I was aiming for an easy drinking refreshing XPA for this one so might aim for that 35IBU mark and ad you say, adjust if necessary for attempt 2.

Appreciate the help! Now to polish off a keg so I can get this underway 🙂

Mitch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Cheers,

Lusty.

Whoops! I meant 18.5 IBU. 😋

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I love Citra, Centennial, and Amarillo together. One of my favourite combos. 

I will be giving this one a go after my next brew.

I am putting a lager on for Dad for his bday in November to let it lager until then so once that is fermented I'll give this a crack and see how it goes :).

Mitch.

• 2 weeks later...

@MitchellScott Hey, your thread inspired me to want to make my Citra, Centennial and Amarillo APA again. Went to my LHBS this morning to buy the ingredients and they were out of Citra! 😯  Bought some Falconer's Flight instead, which contains some Citra, but also Simcoe, Sorachie Ace, and several unidentified hops. 

My hop schedule is a little different than yours. I am using Centennial only in the kettle, at 20 minutes and 4 minutes, and Amarillo and Citra (now Falconer's Flight) in the DH. That is the way I did it the first time I used these three hops together, and I have fond memories of that beer. I have experimented with different schedules, most using all three at various points in the kettle, and all three, in different proportions, in the DH too. They were all good, but I liked my first one best. 

Good luck with your brew. Let us know how yours turns out. 

Cheers,

Christina.

47 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

@MitchellScott Hey, your thread inspired me to want to make my Citra, Centennial and Amarillo APA again. Went to my LHBS this morning to buy the ingredients and they were out of Citra! 😯  Bought some Falconer's Flight instead, which contains some Citra, but also Simcoe, Sorachie Ace, and several unidentified hops. 

My hop schedule is a little different than yours. I am using Centennial only in the kettle, at 20 minutes and 4 minutes, and Amarillo and Citra (now Falconer's Flight) in the DH. That is the way I did it the first time I used these three hops together, and I have fond memories of that beer. I have experimented with different schedules, most using all three at various points in the kettle, and all three, in different proportions, in the DH too. They were all good, but I liked my first one best. 

Good luck with your brew. Let us know how yours turns out. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Awesome to hear Christina 🙂

Unfortunately mine has been put on the back burner for a while as my next brew is going to be a lager for my dads birthday. But after that I will give this one a crack and see what I come up with. 

Yours sounds delicious also, let us know how it turns out 🙂

Mitch. 

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to put a bit of thought into this now that my FV will be free'd up soonish and this recipe will be whats going into it next.

I think I am going to try and remove the Dex from the recipe and go all malt. I can increase the wheat malt to do this and keep a similar ABV, but that will bring the FG up around 1.014-1.015. Do you think this would be an issue?

Also, thinking more about it, I'm not sure I want the sweetness from the Crystal Malt in this brew. Does anyone have any recommendations of a specialty grain that will work well in this? Or should I just go without?

Thanks brainstrust 🙂

Going without would probably get the FG a bit lower, it's all personal taste but for me I don't like these styles with too high an FG. It's different with full mashing like I do because the crystal malts don't increase the FG as much mashed as they do when steeped by themselves like in extract brewing, plus I can manipulate it further with mash temp.

If you want a similar color to what crystal would give without the added sweetness and FG increase, you can always add 10-20g black malt or roasted barley. It'll darken it a little without affecting the flavour or FG, but those beers generally aren't as dark as regular pale ales so you could probably just go all extract. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Going without would probably get the FG a bit lower, it's all personal taste but for me I don't like these styles with too high an FG. It's different with full mashing like I do because the crystal malts don't increase the FG as much mashed as they do when steeped by themselves like in extract brewing, plus I can manipulate it further with mash temp.

If you want a similar color to what crystal would give without the added sweetness and FG increase, you can always add 10-20g black malt or roasted barley. It'll darken it a little without affecting the flavour or FG, but those beers generally aren't as dark as regular pale ales so you could probably just go all extract. 

Fair enough. I might stick without the grains then.

Ill bump the wheat malt up to 800g and remove the Dex. This will give me a ABV of 5.3% while finishing around 1.013 which I think will be fine.

My Anarchy IPA finished at 1.015 and that was a brilliant beer.

Cheers, Mitch.

20 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The other option of course is to actually increase the amount of dextrose.  That'll help lower the FG and dry things out a bit.  I often use 5% -  10% of sugar in extract and partial mash recipes.   I didn't see the yeast mentioned anywhere but using a strain with a higher attenuation could also benefit - if a drier result is actually desired of course!