Coopers Community

Real Ale thread

Lab Cat

Following on from the discussion on the fermenting thread, and whether Real Ale can make a Pride-alike.

I just picked one up. It's a light bodied, malt driven beer, a little sweetness with subtle biscuit caramel flavour. A quality satisfying beer at a sane 4.7%.

Fullers site describes Pride as malt driven and lightly bittered with Target, and aroma from Northdown, Golding and Challenger.

A few of us discussed having a go at brewing this with the real ale. Not having tried that before, and not knowing what style it is as a base, I have no idea whether it would get in this ballpark flavour-wise.

The suggested recipe was Real ale, 1.5 liquid malt and some LDM. I'm not sure the light malt would get the biscuit caramel flavour, but it depends on what's in the Real can. Maybe Amber malt might get closer to this style? Hard to know without some background on the Real ale.

20190724_173604_resized.thumb.jpg.4c9029c2657b1fa1fee3ce523c902f4f.jpg

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 2

I have just the Coopers Craft kit fermenter. I am very happy with my latest brew: the 1.7kg Real Ale can and nothing else topped up to only 8.5L plus the yeast from the can, then a dry hop with 45g cascade. Worked out really well with good hops aroma, quite dark, approaching my limit for bitterness but full flavoured and well balanced. 

• Like 3

Going to brew the Real ale next week. Was going to add some brown sugar, but wasn't able to get Coopers liquid malt, so had to get another brand, which is 1.7kg so an extra 200g right there. So am thinking of either adding only 100g sugar or not bothering with it at all.

I have a bottle of harvested yeast from the Scotch Ale - Nottingham and half a pack of the innkeepers. There's about 600ml. How much of this should I use, and is it just as simple as pouring it in?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Nottingham and Innkeepers yeast slurry works a treat, probably tipped a bit too much tho.... I find Nottingham really predictable and consistent in getting SG down, whereas US yeasts have been all over the place for me.

Will bottle this weekend. Too early to say if it gets near to a Fullers style brew, but the Real ale + liquid malt promises to be a decent, simple drop. Nice when you can get a good beer with very little effort.

Likewise the Wee Heavy. Just tin, liquid amber and brown sugar, and my testers went mad for it - said it was the best beer I've done (hardly me, when it's that simple). The Yorkie is a bit lacklustre, despite being very similar, plus grain steep and hop bittering. But this just hasn't carbonated very well, and that lets it down for taste.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Quick update. Nottingham and Innkeepers yeast slurry works a treat, probably tipped a bit too much tho.... I find Nottingham really predictable and consistent in getting SG down, whereas US yeasts have been all over the place for me.

Will bottle this weekend. Too early to say if it gets near to a Fullers style brew, but the Real ale + liquid malt promises to be a decent, simple drop. Nice when you can get a good beer with very little effort.

Likewise the Wee Heavy. Just tin, liquid amber and brown sugar, and my testers went mad for it - said it was the best beer I've done (hardly me, when it's that simple). The Yorkie is a bit lacklustre, despite being very similar, plus grain steep and hop bittering. But this just hasn't carbonated very well, and that lets it down for taste.

Let us know how it goes. Pride isn't a bad beer at all 🙂 

Bottled, so 2+ weeks from a verdict, but I don't think this will get anywhere near a Fullers style brew. It seems really thin on flavour and probably not unexpected, give it's just a kit and a tin of light malt. I'll see how it drinks, but the Real ale may do better with Amber malt.

For those looking for something in the Fullers style, you'll do better to brew the Scotch Ale. The Real ale subbed in that recipe may be a goer as well, I think I'll be trying that. But next up is the EB kit with Amber malt and some Brown sugar. Not far off the extra smooth bitter recipe. But I'm interested in what the Amber/Brown sugar combo might do with a couple of other kits.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2019 at 11:13 PM, Lab Rat said:

Bottled, so 2+ weeks from a verdict, but I don't think this will get anywhere near a Fullers style brew. It seems really thin on flavour and probably not unexpected, give it's just a kit and a tin of light malt. I'll see how it drinks, but the Real ale may do better with Amber malt.

Felt inspired yesterday and put down a Real Ale with 1.5kg liquid amber malt, using Nottingham yeast. Let's see. 🙂 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Felt inspired yesterday and put down a Real Ale with 1.5kg liquid amber malt, using Nottingham yeast. Let's see. 🙂 

Did similar as I wanted to get a quick beer on the go.  I used Blonde LME and added some Styrian Goldings hops (5 min boil and dry) -  going for more of a PA type brew on this occasion.   Also used Notty.  

• Like 2

This morning I kegged a Real Ale, 1kg LDM, 30g Centennial hop tea and Nottingham... The Nottingham has now been harvested and is now part of my yeast bank... looking forward to seeing if i can pick the difference between US05, which I have used a great deal, and the Nottingham ... bumped up the PSI so hopefully can have a wee taste tomorrow arvo .. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

This morning I kegged a Real Ale, 1kg LDM, 30g Centennial hop tea and Nottingham... The Nottingham has now been harvested and is now part of my yeast bank... looking forward to seeing if i can pick the difference between US05, which I have used a great deal, and the Nottingham ... bumped up the PSI so hopefully can have a wee taste tomorrow arvo .. 

Hey Marty - if you are firing up the KnK Real Ale alley... reckon you would do a whole lot worse than the below combo (w free freight):

image.thumb.png.40c9f28bc458b1a5cb6c45bd6b87a3cc.png

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, Lab Rat said:

Going to brew the Real ale next week. Was going to add some brown sugar, but wasn't able to get Coopers liquid malt, so had to get another brand, which is 1.7kg so an extra 200g right there. So am thinking of either adding only 100g sugar or not bothering with it at all.

I have a bottle of harvested yeast from the Scotch Ale - Nottingham and half a pack of the innkeepers. There's about 600ml. How much of this should I use, and is it just as simple as pouring it in?

Hey LR - good luck with your brew.  Reckon I would blow the 100g sugar and just go with the malt myself.  I reckon too mate you would like that Coops ROTM above... with that liquid wheat malt and the other bits and pieces it is bound to be a cracking brew.  Am on the AG... otherwise would be onto it.  Just for you Ale Kings... reckon it would likely be a cracker.  And yours with the liquid malt is bound to be good too. Cheers. BB

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, Lab Rat said:

Following on from the discussion on the fermenting thread, and whether Real Ale can make a Pride-alike.

I just picked one up. It's a light bodied, malt driven beer, a little sweetness with subtle biscuit caramel flavour. A quality satisfying beer at a sane 4.7%.

Fullers site describes Pride as malt driven and lightly bittered with Target, and aroma from Northdown, Golding and Challenger.

A few of us discussed having a go at brewing this with the real ale. Not having tried that before, and not knowing what style it is as a base, I have no idea whether it would get in this ballpark flavour-wise.

The suggested recipe was Real ale, 1.5 liquid malt and some LDM. I'm not sure the light malt would get the biscuit caramel flavour, but it depends on what's in the Real can. Maybe Amber malt might get closer to this style? Hard to know without some background on the Real ale.

You will have just have to experiment and report back for us all Ratticus ; )

I have brewed with Biscuit malt in AG... dunno whether it delivers biscuit caramel flavour but I certainly can vouch for the brew's final positive outcome slurpability!

Was 73/19/8 Pale Malt/Biscuit Malt/Wheat Malt Bill.   You could try a partial - just stovetop mash up some crushed biscuit malt as an adjunct at around 68 degC… 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, Gazzala said:

Hey Lab Rat,

Where did you pick it up from? I have trouble finding it locally...

Cheers,

Gaz.

Pop over to Pom and grab it in Tescos ; )  They're even on spesh at the mo!

You got till late October : )

image.png.f32f617facd44f849d76505af6957bd1.png

Above

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey LR - good luck with your brew.  Reckon I would blow the 100g sugar and just go with the malt myself.  I reckon too mate you would like that Coops ROTM above... with that liquid wheat malt and the other bits and pieces it is bound to be a cracking brew.  Am on the AG... otherwise would be onto it.  Just for you Ale Kings... reckon it would likely be a cracker.  And yours with the liquid malt is bound to be good too. Cheers. BB

Yep, as I posted above, I skipped the sugar, but the at-bottled sample taste a bit thin even with an extra 200g liq malt. I'm thinking of going Amber if I brew another. We'll see how this turns out. Will be a while, pretty cool in the garage and the fridge is on another brew, so can't warm them up

54 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Above

Yep, as I posted above, I skipped the sugar, but the at-bottled sample taste a bit thin even with an extra 200g liq malt. I'm thinking of going Amber if I brew another. We'll see how this turns out. Will be a while, pretty cool in the garage and the fridge is on another brew, so can't warm them up

Ah well good luck with it all LR.  Maybe a kilo of dry malt could have helped.  I bought a 20kg bag of it so was happy to add plenty when I was doing KnK. 

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey Marty - if you are firing up the KnK Real Ale alley... reckon you would do a whole lot worse than the below combo (w free freight):

Yep have had my eye on that .... but not a big fan of either of those New World hops or 7.5% ABV beers ... may do one with 30g FO citra and 30g dry hopped centennial,  no dex and use a yeast like Liberty Bell yeast to get some esters ...  so same same but totally different ...  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yep have had my eye on that .... but not a big fan of either of those New World hops or 7.5% ABV beers ... may do one with 30g FO citra and 30g dry hopped centennial,  no dex and use a yeast like Liberty Bell yeast to get some esters ...  so same same but totally different ...  

Fair enough Marty... I guess the one take-away though might be -  consider using that Coops Wheat Liquid malt some time - it really enhances mouthfeel and head retention... 

As for the ABV... yeah sorry.... that for me was a plus 😋

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

air enough Marty... I guess the one take-away though might be -  consider using that Coops Wheat Liquid malt some time - it really enhances mouthfeel and head retention... 

100% would follow the extract and grain schedule I would just alter the hops and use a yeast i have on hand ...  

• Like 1