Coopers Community

Calcium sulphate (gypsum)

Hi guys I’ve been advised to add calcium sulphate to my brew to balance out mineral deficiencies in the added water. My question is, does anyone have experience of using it? What were the results/improvements and how much should be added to a 23l batch? 

Thanks in advance

Gav

Personally, I wouldn't bother. As long as the water you use tastes OK then just go with that.

The mineral profile is more important when mashing during all grain brewing. This part has already been done for you and is in the extract kit.

• Like 2

I'd agree with Hairy there. I wouldn't worry about mineral salts unless you move into AG down the road. As for your question, generally it enhances the hops, among the other things it contributes to mash conditions. The amount used differs depending on the desired outcome.

I've used it for a while now in conjunction with other mineral salts to create different water profiles for different beers I brew. It isn't the magic pill that some make it out to be, but when used correctly it does improve the beer, just like the other 5 mineral salts brewers use. If used incorrectly it can ruin it.

• Thanks 1

Water a Comprehensive Guide for Brewers - It's on Amazon Australia if you want to have a look at it.

There is a preview  option so you can have a bit of a read to see if it is what you want.

It can be purchased as a paper back or as a download.

It's part of series on Hops, Yeast, Malt.

I just read somewhere on the interweb that adding mineral salts to an extract brew is more likely to result in too much salts because the water used to make the extract would already have an appropriate mix of minerals (one would hope) from the water used by the maker of the extract and then there is added whatever comes from your own water supply before any further addition you might deliberately add. If anything, it was suggested, there might be an argument for trying deionised water if you don't naturally have soft water. 

• Like 1