Coopers Community

Stuck mash

PaddyBrew2

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I used to stir the mash intermittently but I don't bother anymore other than during heating phases to check temperature (up to mash out for example). I didn't find it of any real benefit. But, different brewing systems probably require different processes at times. 

I do give it a great big stir at the beginning, but then just let it sit. 

I have been stirring my malted grains in the BIAB Bag and especially after my element burn-on event - but am thinking I maybe should try doing a smaller grain:water ratio as you have suggested Kelsey and see how that goes - might with a lower grain:water ratio with more efficiency deliver the same OG.  Worth a try.   And if it doesn't, I can make a beer for those who are happier with 'more normal' beer 👺

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's why I use a drill driver, it can run on low speed but the high torque allows it to easily drive the mill. 

Cool.  And you know I should have one of those somewhere.... Great call Kelsey - but whether I can find it : ( 

The last time I saw it I think was about 3 house moves ago ffffffar out.

But good point.  I will have a look for it.  Got a few weeks while the Cool Temp Brews go through their thing 😝

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

This article is gold Hairy.  Thanks mate. 

So I reckon if I did 50:50 Wheat|Pils Malt - might even follow their fancy mash schedule...

Then probably in FV at 17 degC as the article suggests - potentially upgrade from WB06 dry to Wyeast 3068...

All up that might be honing in on a reasonable wheat beer brew?

Gentle use of noble hops Hallertau - and maybe some Mandarina?  Article does note that Spalt is ok - and I do have some of those so could use those in a pinch. 

If worst came to worst Hairy do you think I could fire up my old WB06 from earlier this year?  It is sitting in 2 deg C and still has a little cough of C02 when I open to degas... 

(I did bottle way too early in the days of dodgy hydros and lack if interest in using leaning hydro tubes... and had overcarb probs later as the bottles matured)

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 7/15/2019 at 8:10 PM, Hairy said:

I have done wheat beers (50/50 wheat and Pilsner) with no dramas. Started with a beta glucan rest to help though.

+1

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how-the-mash-works/the-protein-rest-and-modification

This page & the 2 after it you might find helpful.

Out of curiosity, what temp did you mash out at, or sparge at?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

+1

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how-the-mash-works/the-protein-rest-and-modification

This page & the 2 after it you might find helpful.

Out of curiosity, what temp did you mash out at, or sparge at?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I mash out at at 77-78°C and my sparge water is around 80°C..

Edit: I just realised you weren’t talking to me.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think Lusty would be better talkin' to you Hairy...  ; )

Cos me not done no Hefe-wizza AG yet so canna answer the question 👹

But I am happy - am learning lots.

So thanks Lusty and Hairy!!!

I am getting fired up for a Weizen with all this good inf - thanks very much.

And Paddy - mate - I am really hoping you like Wheat Beer cos yer getting the best quality advice for it! 😝

Edited by Bearded Burbler

Brewers - Lusty and Hairy - you both are indicating the requirement for a Beta-Glucan rest - but is this not more associated with UNmalted grain?

The use of this rest is only necessary for brewers incorporating a large amount (>25%) of unmalted or flaked wheat, rye or oatmeal in the mash.

(from the useful link you sent Lusty)

I can work towards incorporating that step - but am wondering whether it is needed of all the grain is already a malted product... ?

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cool.  And you know I should have one of those somewhere.... Great call Kelsey - but whether I can find it : ( 

The last time I saw it I think was about 3 house moves ago ffffffar out.

But good point.  I will have a look for it.  Got a few weeks while the Cool Temp Brews go through their thing 😝

Aldi has them if you don't end up locating it, that's where mine came from, donated by dad when I moved out. Been great. I have another smaller one as well but the chuck on it is too small for the mill. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Aldi has them if you don't end up locating it, that's where mine came from, donated by dad when I moved out. Been great. I have another smaller one as well but the chuck on it is too small for the mill. 

Mine is a Hitachi magic little unit with loadsa grunt... but if I can find it... is another dreadful worrying question 😵

Otherwise - maybe Aldi - I might try to get a slower roll going with whatever unit I can get my hands on!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Love the wheat beer

alrhough I have 70 gms of east Kent goldings so an English bitter may be next 

All good - sounds like a very sound plan mate!

How is the Stout going in the Fermenter?

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mine is a Hitachi magic little unit with loadsa grunt... but if I can find it... is another dreadful worrying question 😵

Otherwise - maybe Aldi - I might try to get a slower roll going with whatever unit I can get my hands on!

Nothing worse than buying a replacement then immediately coming across the original as a coincidence while looking for something else. I'd be turning house and home upside down to find your little Hitachi first! 

Cheers, 

John 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Brewers - Lusty and Hairy - you both are indicating the requirement for a Beta-Glucan rest - but is this not more associated with UNmalted grain?

The use of this rest is only necessary for brewers incorporating a large amount (>25%) of unmalted or flaked wheat, rye or oatmeal in the mash.

I can work towards incorporating that step - but am wondering whether it is needed of all the grain is already a malted product... ?

Here is another link we a table and temperature tables:

https://byo.com/article/the-science-of-step-mashing/

I found the rest in the Beta Glucanase range helped stop the mash from gumming up too much.

Another article below:

https://beerandwinejournal.com/steps-i/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wheat malt has higher protein levels than barley malt that creates a more gelatinous wort, & has no husks that typically aid in filtering the grain bed when sparging etc.

...Because modern wheat (Triticum aestivum) has a relatively high glucan and protein content compared to barley and has no husks—properties that can create lauter problems in the brewhouse—mashes rarely contain more than 70% wheat malt. Some adventurous brewers have made beers from 100% wheat malt, but this feat invariable requires a number of tricks in the brewhouse, as the husk-less grain cannot create its own filter bed through which to run off the wort.

Article source: https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/VRMMRkwdtG/

I hope that helps. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, porschemad911 said:

Nothing worse than buying a replacement then immediately coming across the original as a coincidence while looking for something else. I'd be turning house and home upside down to find your little Hitachi first! 

Cheers, 

John 

So true John - Sssssoooo true!!!

I shall have a bit more of a detailed look over the weekend - thanks maaaaaaate!!!👍

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, Hairy said:

Here is another link we a table and temperature tables:

https://byo.com/article/the-science-of-step-mashing/

I found the rest in the Beta Glucanase range helped stop the mash from gumming up too much.

Another article below:

https://beerandwinejournal.com/steps-i/

Beaut - thanks Hairy - I do have access to a relatively recent version of the Palmer book - and the above - and me finally READING what is in JP's book - will help me get this organised in my mind... thanks mate! Luvyerwork. BB

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, Beerlust said:

Wheat malt has higher protein levels than barley malt that creates a more gelatinous wort, & has no husks that typically aid in filtering the grain bed when sparging etc.

Article source: https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/VRMMRkwdtG/

I hope that helps. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ripper - thanks Lusty - good stuff - luvyerwork - I have quite a bit of reading ahead of me!  

How good is this site/community - seriously - I really do not think I would ever have got to improving my Extract Brewing and then eventually all the way through to AG without you Brewers and the support and direction and encouragement you have given!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Brew up and  Brew on

BB

• Like 1