Coopers Community

Berliner weisse Mangrove Jacks pouch

Sam Trankle

Hey everyone,

I have a pouch of the Mangrove Jacks Berliner style sour ale and this is my first time brewing this style.

I have a couple of questions, mostly in terms of improvements to the kit/pouch.

I'm thinking of adding raspberries or raspberries juice after pitching yeast. Will this impart flavour and how long should I leave them in the fermenter? 

I have heaps of centennial on hand. Would dry hopping provide any benefit for this style??

Lastly, would keeping the M20 yeast be best or should I sub it out for something else? I hear it imparts lots of banana flavours.

Hoping to get some suggestions and guidance! 

Cheers 

raspberry's  are great I have done a few with puree frozen ones have put them in hop tubes mine are allgrain  but not berliner style and love the tartness  1.5 to 2kg after primary fermentation at about 80% day 3 0r 4 works for me. as for yeast is a personal choice M20  k97    is up to you . Dry hopping I wouldn't see the need with the  fruit just bittering . I don't really aim for styles just taste cheers that's my 10cents worth lol 

20190503_202034.jpg

Edited by therealthing691

9 hours ago, Sam Trankle said:

I have a pouch of the Mangrove Jacks Berliner style sour ale and this is my first time brewing this style.

I have a couple of questions, mostly in terms of improvements to the kit/pouch.

WHY on earth would you want to improve a pouch you have not tried. Brew as per instructions and then try a different approach.
Fruit is good, hops are not. Use the supplied yeast.

• Like 1

+1 to the above. This is actually my fav beer and everyone that visits my bar raves about it. I have brewed it straight up and also added mulberries off the tree when in season. Froze them (about 1.5kg), blended, sieved and added about day 4 or 5. Turned out awesome. I also don't recommend hopping as the style doesn't suit. I just use the supplied yeast. Cheers.

• Like 1