Coopers Community

Enough yeast?

hawker831

Hi everyone,

So I just made a batch of the Tsar's Tar and I realised I forgot to put in two packets of the Saflager W-34/70 yeast as well as the brew can yeast.

At the moment it has one packet of the W-34 and one packet of the brew can yeast.

It looks like I have a few options, just not sure which one to go with:

1. Add another type of yeast (I have US-05 and safbrew WB-06)
  2. Run to the local homebrew shop and buy another packet of W-34 to put in tomorrow
  3. Let it go with just the yeast thats in now (I'm assuming this will mean fermentation will take a bit longer and I should probably hold dropping the temp to 13 degrees by a few days??)

Thanks in advance for any help

16 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I would have suggested to get another but you can’t. 

1 packet of 34/70 isn’t enough so I would ferment at the top end of the recommended temperature scale. 

The recipe says ferment at 18 degrees and then after 24 hours slowly decrease to 13 degrees.

I guess I should stay at 18 for a few extra days then drop to 13?

Thanks for that.

It looks like the yeast that's in there is doing its job, SG has gone down from 1.080 to 1.076 in less than 24 hours.

I'll drop the temp to about 14-15 and see what happens. 

What are the side-effects of not putting that extra packet of yeast in? does the flavour change or does the fermentation just take longer?

36 minutes ago, hawker831 said:

Thanks for that.

It looks like the yeast that's in there is doing its job, SG has gone down from 1.080 to 1.076 in less than 24 hours.

I'll drop the temp to about 14-15 and see what happens. 

What are the side-effects of not putting that extra packet of yeast in? does the flavour change or does the fermentation just take longer?

It might not get down to the predicted FG or the beer might have some off flavours due to the lack of yeast and causing it to work harder