Coopers Community

Best temp at which to pitch the liquid Urquell 2001 yeast

Marty_G

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Cool, hope it turns out well for you.

This is the one style of beer I had issues with. Not sure why, well I do know why, when I had no temp control it was too hot, or when temp was right it fluctuated too much. Then when i get temp control I made 1 good one so I buy the yeast I really want and I under-pitched it and ended up with that classic old school home brew cider green apple flavour. Hopefully I get a great one this time as it is probably my favorite style of beer and I can put the issues behind me and start making good Pils on a regular basis  ... fingers crossed ... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Unless everything is spot on you will get a subpar result

100% ... if I can get this one right and embed  the process of pitching the harvested yeast, getting the right temp to ferment,  nail the right D rest sequence and finally the correct lagering all will be good. Piece of piss really. when one thinks about it.    

While I have a real appreciation of good ales I think having a great lager on tap over the summer months is a must ... a good repeatable Pils is my holy grail ... on the plus the last one I did, which was just a wash of aldehyde flavour from the under-pitch, has now lagered for 5 weeks and starting to see some hope in the flavour profile ... don't think it will ever be clean and crisp but 100% drinkable now ...  sort of like a forward hopped ale if that makes sense ...  

Wow, Wow and another wow ... so pitched at 1050, as opposed to 1057 of the first  brew, using the harvested yeast so pitch rate was a very healthy amount as opposed the the packet yeast which obviously did not have enough. The OG has dropped about 2 points since pitching which is 18 hours ago.  That is the so different to the 1st use which showed no signs of activity till day 4  ...  learning so much right now ... 

• Like 1

Yeah it makes a difference. I usually have them at FG in 10 days or less even though they take a day or two to show any visible activity. Mine has been in there 8 days today, so I'll take the first FG sample on Wednesday. The mid ferment sample looks finished already. The yeast in my case is 2278 but still an Urquell strain.