Coopers Community

Marks in Fermenter

Beer Baron

So my fermenter has this stain on the inside and other people have said it is beer stone. 

Does anyone have any experience with it?? 

My cleaning regimen is rinse out with a hose after I have kegged a batch. I add hot water with sodium percarbonate and give a rub with a soft sponge. Then I rinse with water and let it dry and store. 

On brew day I fill with about 3-4 litres of water and add Star San, give it a shake and dump the Star San and fill with wort. 

Thoughts??

B52C8076-7B59-4054-B52A-24313E46E884.jpeg

Yeah mate, citric acid is all the same really. I got a 5kg bucket from eBay.  Sounds about the same ratio I use too, but I don't measure it. I just tip in what looks like enough to do the job. 

When I got my water still it came with a sachet of "detergent" to clean the scale off when it was finished being used. One whiff revealed it to be just citric acid 😂 it is highly effective at removing it though. 

It removes those too Christina. I use it in the kitchen kettle sometimes, and also in my water still. I have to clean that over the weekend actually, might do a before and after. Boiling removes it but the crap up the sides I scour off because I don't really want to fill the whole thing up just to clean it. I fill the kettle properly though because it's difficult to get inside. 

I wouldn't even know if it's in my fermenter or kegs but using this cleaning process after every batch in my urn has prevented it building up at all. Is it actually beer stone in there or just discolouration?

It's probably the same kind of shit that a few have mentioned seeing inside their bottles when they have only been rinsed after each use rather than properly cleaned. My kegs, lines and taps are always cleaned after being emptied and I haven't had any issues with contamination or off flavours out of them. I've not done any acid treatment on them either. 

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Boil it, allow to cool enough to touch it, then scrub. If no boiling option then use boiling water and dissolve it, then follow the rest the same. A few litres is all that's needed. 

Thanks