Coopers Community

How do you organise your brews?

drewbert

Hey everyone. 

Got myself into an interesting situation. I have three FVs looking to bottle during the week. Problem is that I've started my new job. No more working from home. 

So how do the responsibile one(s) manage their time  and avoid running into clashes with their  major brewing steps?

I have ~4 hour breaks every work day, so this allows time to put beer in a keg or clean up a keg or whatever other tasks I can do that don't take a long time. I often pitch a new batch on a weekday.

Occasionally when bottling I'd bottle a batch if I had a 4.5-5 hour break, but otherwise I'd just do that on weekends. Like Ben said, cold crashing allows for some delay without ruining the beer.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

3 hours ago, drewbert said:

So how do the responsibile one(s) manage their time  and avoid running into clashes with their  major brewing steps?

All my brewing and bottling is done in the evenings after work / dinner / bathing my little boy and getting him off to bed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

All my brewing and bottling is done in the evenings after work / dinner / bathing my little boy and getting him off to bed. 

You need to get that boy to work on the production line, and the dog too for that matter.  Everyone should earn their keep.

I work 8/6, so I brew around that schedule. It has its advantages and disadvantages but I make it work. I get my wife to turn up my FV temp at at around a third left of the brew but I could program the controller to do that. Just as easy to remind her to change it. 

As I keg now, I’ll keg a beer on the 6th day, go to work and she’s banging for a pour when I get home. It is a bit of a treat to come home to a new beer most swings

The only days I really have enough time to make up a brew are my days off work. On a rare occasion I'll do a brew after I get home on my last day of work for the week if I'm time restricted for my pending days off, but that is rare.

Kegging beer takes me about 20-30mins, so can do that whenever I like on any day.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha he'd love to, but at 2 and a half it would be a disaster of epic proportions. 

I've had my 2 year old in charge of paying bottles for filling. She loves it. Biggest issue is keeping her away from the carbonation drops

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, drewbert said:

I've had my 2 year old in charge of paying bottles for filling. She loves it. Biggest issue is keeping her away from the carbonation drops

Yours sounds very cooperative.

Haha if I ask mine 'do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?' he tells me 'the hard way, I want the hard way!'. He'd be deliberately sneezing in all the bottles or using them as bowling pins or something. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Yours sounds very cooperative.

Haha if I ask mine 'do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?' he tells me 'the hard way, I want the hard way!'. He'd be deliberately sneezing in all the bottles or using them as bowling pins or something. 

Oh I have to work to make it not turn into the opening episode of Chernobyl...

Usually with "what lucky bottle is next?" And "does it rattle? Has it had it's medicine?" To make sure it's a bottle I have sanitised and added the drops to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2