Coopers Community

Woah - a 15% increase in brew can prices???

LazyDave

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

RTBU here. I'm not referring to the CCTV system, it's some new gadget they've put in that's meant to help prevent collisions, but all it does is annoy the shit out of you, and occasionally it goes off extremely loud and piercing, 99% of the time over nothing, which is quite startling, not exactly what you want when concentrating. It's more of a hazard IMO. 

RTBU here too😔

They're not bad... The union is kind of neutral leaning towards against these silly gadgets. The majority of drivers hate them, and if there's any group of drivers who don't need technology based assistance to avoid crashing it would be the ones who drive all day every day. 

The whole reason they were brought in was because of a few morons walking out in front of buses in the CBD and being hit, at least one of whom came from behind a bus straight into the other one's path. All the gadgets in the world wouldn't have stopped that. In any case, it's an extremely rare event, but some idiot decided that it warranted this garbage. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

RTBU here. I'm not referring to the CCTV system, it's some new gadget they've put in that's meant to help prevent collisions, but all it does is annoy the shit out of you, and occasionally it goes off extremely loud and piercing, 99% of the time over nothing, which is quite startling, not exactly what you want when concentrating. It's more of a hazard IMO. 

Oh yes, we have those fitted to our buses too. I didn't know what they were called. Agreed, annoying.

Used to be RTBU in SA until the state Liberals privatised the buses. For reasons unknown to me, the RTBU didn't have jurisdiction once that happened and TWU took over. I don't understand how that works. RTBU were a far more active union imo.

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Oh yes, we have those fitted to our buses too. I didn't know what they were called. Agreed, annoying.

Used to be RTBU in SA until the state Liberals privatised the buses. For reasons unknown to me, the RTBU didn't have jurisdiction once that happened and TWU took over. I don't understand how that works. RTBU were a far more active union imo.

The private bus companies are under TWU here too I think. 

I've noticed some cats positioning the windscreen wiper over the camera in those things to stop them going off. I don't blame them, especially when the dopey thing nearly gave me a heart attack when it had a fit over some bloke walking along the footpath. Stupid. 

• Like 1

Still got 8 - 10 coopers tins I paid a few bucks each for that I'm struggling to find the motivation to brew with. Even with this slight price rise its still a lot cheaper per a stubby then the commercial stuff. Really need to do some partials or something with them before I need to throw em out.

Oh no.... woe is me, it is going to cost me about 15 cents a litre more for my draught beer ... life has changed forever, please bring back the 1950's when Australia was great ... the sky is falling ...   please explain... oops I have run out of cliches ...  

and just as an aside: unionism is one of the things that has made this country great ... look at the non-unionised economies like  the USA to see the working poor where people have 2 or 3 jobs and still need food stamps ... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PB2 said:

At the risk of covering old ground - if you are stocking up on brew cans, make sure to stick the yeast in the fridge. 😉

Cheers I keep my US-05 etc in the fridge and usually ditch my can yeast or use them immediately in random stuff like meads and ciders.

45 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Cheers I keep my US-05 etc in the fridge and usually ditch my can yeast or use them immediately in random stuff like meads and ciders.

I wouldn't ditch them. Add them near the end of the boil for yeast nutrient.

• Like 1