Coopers Community

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale Clone

Hi Lads, 

So I am doing my 2nd S&W clone batch with Galaxy this time. 

Same ingredient:

Coopers Mexican Larger 1.7Kg
Coopers Wheat 1.7Kg
Dextrose 500g
50g Galaxy Dry Hop @ 7 days
Us-05 Yeast

The previous batch was great but a bit light to my liking, not much punch of bitterness. 

Would you recommend to boil the can of wheat and to additions of hops to leverage the bitter?  

Cheers,

Fabien

Too light as in not bitter enough or not enough body?

In case of the latter, I'd replace the 500g dextrose with LDM. It'll have a slightly lower ABV but more body.

For more bitterness, you could boil the LDM/Dextrose and add some Galaxy hops in for a 15 minute boil. You can boil up the can as well (not the kit!), which should give you a little more hop utilisation.

Actually you'd get more hop utilisation without the can. The higher the SG of the boil wort the lower the utilisation is. 

In any case, the Pacific ale isn't all that bitter anyway, although it would likely be more than the Mexican kit. You wouldn't need much extra bitterness to get it similar to the real deal. 

5 hours ago, Tyfab said:

Hi Lads, 

Same ingredient:

Coopers Wheat 1.7Kg
Dextrose 500g
Us-05 Yeast

The previous batch was great but a bit light to my liking, not much punch of bitterness. 

Would you recommend to boil the can of wheat and to additions of hops to leverage the bitter?  

Cheers,

Fabien

I would try either a flameout addition with 25g of galaxy.  If you do that then, use about 600g of the wheat lme in 5l of water and boil for 10 to 5 minutes turn off the heat and the hops and move the pot off the burner and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Then cool off with ice and cool water. That should bring some bitterness and more flavour and aroma.

Good luck

Norris

5 hours ago, Tyfab said:

Hi Lads, 

Same ingredient:

Coopers Wheat 1.7Kg
Dextrose 500g
Us-05 Yeast

Cheers,

Fabien

Maybe give this Coopers DIY recipe a go...

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html

This recipe has been one of the most popular DIY recipes in recent years over the Summer months.

It'll hit the targets I think you're looking for.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

20 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Maybe give this Coopers DIY recipe a go...

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html

This recipe has been one of the most popular DIY recipes in recent years over the Summer months.

It'll hit the targets I think you're looking for.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

@Tyfab the recipe Lusty posted looks good actually, Summer is a nice hop and would go well with Galaxy. Unfortunately I don't think it is grown commercially any more, but will probably still be available for a little while. If substituting and following the original recipe, try to find something at around the same 6% AA.

Cheers, 

John 

Was not Summer hops a relation or derivative of SAAZ family?  Could SAAZ be used instead?

I have this summer ale as one of my TDB's (to do brews) and would be interested in a replacement hops as my two x LHBS do not stock Summer. Cheers

If you can't get hold of Summer hops, perhaps try a mix of Cascade & Ahtanum. It won't be exactly the same, but should get you somewhere in the same ballpark (IMHO). Or if you're game to try something new, maybe give Cashmere a go.

Cheers,

Lusty.