Coopers Community

Celebration Ale stuff up

Howdy,

So I just mixed up a batch of the Coopers Celebration Ale as per the Recipe. However I only realised after it was all done, that the can of amber malt extract which I thought I had, was actually a can of family secret amber ale! Of course I didn't pick up until it was too late...

Any ideas how this will turn out? Should I change the hop additions?

It will be pretty bitter with the two kits. Perhaps someone can run the numbers for you.

You may want to look at increasing the volume to dilute the bitterness. Or maybe blend it in the glass with a low bittered beer.

Hi @wayne_g

Done the numbers for you.  See the two attached files.  The main difference is bitterness as @Hairy noted.  30.4 versus 57.6

The higher bitterness is around IPA levels so it should still be okay, if you like that style of beer.

I did a toucan with the Family Secret and the APA.  It is a beauty.

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.2 Coopers Celebration Ale w Family Secret.xls

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.2 Coopers Celebration Ale.xls

• Like 3

Thanks so much guys! I don't mind the occasional IPA so worth keeping then. More into the XPA style at the moment. Will definitely throw more hops in than the recipe calls for, but should I just stick with the Nelson and Centennial?

47 minutes ago, wayne_g said:

Thanks so much guys! I don't mind the occasional IPA so worth keeping then. More into the XPA style at the moment. Will definitely throw more hops in than the recipe calls for, but should I just stick with the Nelson and Centennial?

Just a quick 1kg of each should do. I loovvveeee hops!!!!

On 7/6/2019 at 11:23 PM, Beer Baron said:

Just a quick 1kg of each should do. I loovvveeee hops!!!!

Good to see you have finally starting get some balance in your beers and lightened the hop load .... you were once notorious for over hopping Beer Baron ... 

• Haha 3

On 7/6/2019 at 10:35 PM, wayne_g said:

should I just stick with the Nelson and Centennial?

Can't go wrong with sticking with Nelson and Centennial plus at least doubling the quantities. Both very nice hops in their own right and make an excellent blend together. Should be nice and tasty!

Cheers,

John