Coopers Community

Question for the keg brigade

Marty_G

I have acquired four kegs 3 of which I plan to use, two on tap and the 3rd lagering.  At this stage I have no plans for the 4th but that obviously may change.  I understand that the kegs are 19 litres and many of the brews I do are  23 litres so i will need to retain some of my bottles. My question is what sort of bottle stocks do the keg brigade carry ...  and how often do you take the top of a stubby and enjoy the fruits of your labour ... I have about 32 doz stubbs and 100 coopers tallies and 40 x 500ml swing tops ... I will sell all the tallies but struggling to get a grip on how many stubbies i need to keep ... 

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Marty - if you’re in the Melbourne area I’ll take those 40 swing tops off your hands if you’re selling them?

Cheers, Gaz.

Sorry, they are not going they handiest things I have ... 

10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I tend to bottle around 4 or 5 (640 ml bottles) after kegging.

The extra wort from today’s batch won’t be bottled as it was all over the laundry floor and walls.

So Hairy how many bottles do you have ...  

12 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So Hairy how many bottles do you have ...  

I have about 50 bottles. I gave the rest away.

I usually only have a handful of bottled beer at any one time but there are enough bottles in case I wanted to bottle a batch.

I gave my bottles to a mate so if I needed more I could just borrow some from him.

None currently. I have about 50 or so sitting around here and at the olds house but I don't use them. I need a bottle capper but it's pretty low on the priority list. 

Instead I bought a 10 litre keg and I make 21 and 25 litre batches. The smaller size is just for a 19 litre keg on its own which currently are all lagers. The bigger size are all ales, and fill a 19 litre keg with the surplus 4-5 litres from two batches going in the 10 litre keg as a blend, so I sort of get a third mini batch from two larger ones.

• Like 1

Like the rest, I usually make 21 to 22 liter batches and generally bottle the slags for the in-laws and friends to have. I keep about 35 750ml bottles, around various types from swing tops too plastic.

I think once you see how easy it is to transfer from fermenter to keg you will be less keen to bottle anything and only do it as a favour to share your brews.

17 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I think once you see how easy it is to transfer from fermenter to keg you will be less keen to bottle anything and only do it as a favour to share your brews.

For the last 5 weeks I have been doing kegs for the son in-law, who has never brewed, but decided to set a a keg fridge because he liked my brews so much and he gives me the ingredients and i do it for him ...  the kegs I pretty got for free so I thought what the dang time to do it ...  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I have acquired four kegs 3 of which I plan to use, two on tap and the 3rd lagering.  At this stage I have no plans for the 4th but that obviously may change.  I understand that the kegs are 19 litres and many of the brews I do are  23 litres so i will need to retain some of my bottles. My question is what sort of bottle stocks do the keg brigade carry ...  and how often do you take the top of a stubby and enjoy the fruits of your labour ... I have about 32 doz stubbs and 100 coopers tallies and 40 x 500ml swing tops ... I will sell all the tallies but struggling to get a grip on how many stubbies i need to keep ... 

Cheers

To be honest with you my kegs seem to evaporate,  not sure how just seem to go through them a lot quicker than I was stubbies 😉,

So now I keg the first 19 ltrs by siphoning off the top, (reduces any crap and makes the beer clearer, the I bottle what's left, which go into storage, so if I go out camping or fishing I grab them. But I have about 150 pet bottles that I use to use,

2 hours ago, Navigator said:

But I have about 150 pet bottles that I use to use,

Surely you don't use them all ...  I am just trying to find the critical mass that I need, so to speak ...