Coopers Community

Pitching straight onto the yeast cake

Marty_G

Tried this for the 1st time yesterday. As previously mentioned I am brewing for my son in-law at the moment and yesterday I kegged the little creatures clone that I had done. It was fermented with the re-packaged US05 (Morgans American Ale yeast) ... that brew  dropped over 20 points in the 1st 24 hours. Yesterday he supplied a fresh wort from All in Brewing and I pitched straight onto the yeast cake that had fermented the Little Creatures clone ... boy has it powered along it has dropped 31 points in 16 hours ... this strain of US05 is a beast ... this is brew number 38 since my return to homebrewing and none of the yeasts I have pitched whether dry or from the my yeast library have had numbers that have gone anywhere near that ... I think I have become an overnight fan of direct yeast cake pitching ... 

Hey Marty. 

Did you take any of the yeast out at all? 

Not trying to rain on your parade here however one reason that the practice of pitching direct* is not good as because of the  fermentation profile you get from it. 

without the growth phase of the yeast the beer can turn out a little lack lustre. Don’t get me wrong though, it may turn out alright, I just think it may not be as good as it could’ve been. 

I hope it is good though. 

*when pitching a same volume and gravity beer as the one previous 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Hey Marty. 

Did you take any of the yeast out at all? 

Not trying to rain on your parade here however one reason that the practice of pitching direct* is not good as because of the  fermentation profile you get from it. 

without the growth phase of the yeast the beer can turn out a little lack lustre. Don’t get me wrong though, it may turn out alright, I just think it may not be as good as it could’ve been. 

I hope it is good though. 

*when pitching a same volume and gravity beer as the one previous 

Yeah im with the captain. I wouldn't do it with an ale to be honest because of the reasons stated. But with US05 which is a fairly neutral yeast i think you will get away with it. I did it with US05 once and didn't notice much difference.

A lager on the other hand. I do it often and recommend it thoroughly actually.  You will get a nice quick and clean ferment which is what you want from a lager.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

But with US05 which is a fairly neutral yeast i think you will get away with it. I did it with US05 once and didn't notice much difference.

Yeah I think so too. 

I wouldn’t do it with something that requires a little character from the yeast. 

19 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

A lager on the other hand. I do it often and recommend it thoroughly actually.  You will get a nice quick and clean ferment which is what you want from a lager.

Yeah I’d definitely agree with that for sure, however never had the misfortune of using a lager yeast, but I would pitch onto if doing lagers. Well with a little taken out or a slightly bigger gravity beer

Thanks for that info ... If it had been my brew i would not have done it ... I would have savaged a 1/2 cup of the cake ... cleaned the FV let it sit in the sun to dry for an hour or so then gone through my the whole brewing regime fresh and then pitched the salvaged yeast but as it was not mine I thought dang it lets give it a go ...  as far as a lager goes will give it a go ... I have some Urquell 2001 and  Saaz on order and when that arrives will be doing a keg of Pils and will do a harvest for the yeast bank and throw another 1 right on top the remainder ... 

• Like 1

I've used this method a few times, most recently followed an NZ pilsner immediately with a quick kit and extract brew onto the pilsner's M54 Cali lager yeast cake.    

I've tried both scooping out some of the cake to avoid over-pitching and also just poured fresh worth onto the entire cake.  I'm wasn't aware of any obvious difference to be honest. If there was an issue caused by what was technically a gross over-pitch it certainly wasn't obvious to me at the time.   Another one of those things that I reckon would require an A/B evaluation to really know what impact it has. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah I’d definitely agree with that for sure, however never had the misfortune of using a lager yeast, but I would pitch onto if doing lagers. Well with a little taken out or a slightly bigger gravity beer

One day you will live a little and do a nice clean crisp pilsener Captain 🙂

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

nice clean crisp pilsener

As much as I like ales, still cant beat a well made Pils ... I eventually get sick of the over hopped beers like some modern ales  ... with a Pils there is nowhere to hide, it is all crisp,  clean and no pretence. Pils are all about the process not hiding in a mismash of flavours that cloud the palate  ...  great Pils are the epitome of "less is more" ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

As much as I like ales, still cant beat a well made Pils ... I eventually get sick of the over hopped beers like some modern ales  ... with a Pils there is nowhere to hide, it is all crisp,  clean and no pretence. Pils are all about the process not hiding in a mismash of flavours that cloud the palate  ...  great Pils are the epitome of "less is more" ... 

100% agree Marty. I haven't found a beer style yet that i dont like. But it is a seasonal thing. I love my lagers in summer. I think the captain is truly missing out to be honest. 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

One day you will live a little and do a nice clean crisp pilsener Captain 🙂

It’ll never happen........... There we go, I’ve said it. Never ever. 

32 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

100% agree Marty. I haven't found a beer style yet that i dont like. But it is a seasonal thing. I love my lagers in summer. I think the captain is truly missing out to be honest. 😆

At a recent doctors appointment he said that I may be allergic to Sulfur. Which could explain the smell/taste thing I get with Lagers.

I know I’m missing out, and I know there’s a massive amount of beers out there that I’m excluding due to my distain for a yeast, however they really do taste like crap to me. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

however they really do taste like crap to me. 

That is a bit of a bummer, so what do you do when you are in Asia or do the rice beers use an Ale yeast?  I must be the same with some of the new world hops really find some of them quite sickening ... well sickening is probably an exaggeration but you get the drift ... 

On 6/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Hey mate, what recipe did you use for the LC clone (if you don’t mind sharing) ? i would like to try that.

Top of my head it was ... 1.7kg can of Morgans Stockman's draught, 1.5kg can Liquid wheat malt, 300g Dex but I used 500g ... Morgans American Ale yeast which is repackaged US 05 ...  25g Cascade dry hopped day 4 ..  with the 500g dex it finished at 5.9% ABV  ... OG 1054 FG 1010 ... that is without looking at my notes so the SG readings may be out a point or so ...  volume was 23L

Edited by MartyG1525230263