Coopers Community

Real Ale Can dry hop or boil suggestions

What type of beer are you wanting to make?? 

I’m no expert with the tins at all but does that pre hopped tin need more bittering with a boil. Maybe a hop tea added might add some flavour and perceived bitterness. 

Beer Baron

• Like 1

@Beer Baron Yeah it  probably doesn’t need any more now I’m looking at it. I think it’s about 35ibu? I’m not after a face melter so I’ll leave it at that. 

In terms of what I’m wanting to make, I’m not really sure what that can leans towards just on its own besides a “real ale” haha. 

Theres a recipe on here which calls for some Nelson so maybe I’ll look in that direction of hops for a steep and or dry hop?

M

• Like 1

For mine the real ale is the best of the tins and for my taste needs nothing ... if I did do something to it i would be a hop tea or a dry hop of 25 g Centennial ... as is it is a very well balanced beer ... no matter what i make and how i make it when ever I have a real ale I always think why do I bother with all the extra hops and boils and grain additions for the APA's, IPA's and Golden Ales I make.... the only change I do to the Real Ale is  1kg LDM and either  US05 or Liberty Bell M36 .... quick, easy and cheap ... do a whole 23l  brew for $26.00 ... mind you i bottle may be different once I start kegging ... 

will be interested to see how it turns out ... keep us in the loop ... I start kegging in the next couple of weeks and the real ale will be my 1st keg brew ... want to keep it simple with something i am familiar with so i can see the difference to my bottles ... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim’s man cave said:

I have 4 tins laying around thinking I should do a toucan 

I did a half size batch with a real ale can awhile ago, so essentially a toucan when u work out the numbers. Did a hop tea using centennial and Citra and dry hopped with the same. Turned out great and was 6.5% ABV.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 9:26 AM, MitchBastard said:

@MartyG1525230263 I think I’m going to try a California common with it

real ale can

1kg DME

30g northern brewer for 15 

s-23 at 18deg 

How did it turn out? Thinking of trying this one, but cannot work out what kind of beer style it is. Coopers haven't really defined it when discussed in another thread either.

2 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

How did it turn out? Thinking of trying this one, but cannot work out what kind of beer style it is. Coopers haven't really defined it when discussed in another thread either.

I went overseas and I only just put it down 4 days ago. I took a grav reading today and tried the sample. It tasted great. I’m looking forward to this one finishing.  It’s seems like it’s going to be a no frills type beer, in a good way though.

im assuming it’s a steam ale?? An ale fermented with lager yeast at ale temps. 

Give it a go!

On 6/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

I second the idea of not doing a boil. If you dry hop with 15-20gm of EKG, you will have made a Real Ale style beer.  But since this is home brew, you can dry hop with any hop, in any amount.

Cheers,

Christina.

Or even EKG for a 15-20 minute FO  and centennial dry hop ....  they go really well together ...  a traditional Real ale with the EKG  a touch of New World with centennial ... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 26 June 2019 at 8:34 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

For mine the real ale is the best of the tins and for my taste needs nothing ... if I did do something to it i would be a hop tea or a dry hop of 25 g Centennial ... as is it is a very well balanced beer ... no matter what i make and how i make it when ever I have a real ale I always think why do I bother with all the extra hops and boils and grain additions for the APA's, IPA's and Golden Ales I make.... the only change I do to the Real Ale is  1kg LDM and either  US05 or Liberty Bell M36 .... quick, easy and cheap ... do a whole 23l  brew for $26.00 ... mind you i bottle may be different once I start kegging ... 

I'm with Marty, I don't think it needs anything but a kilo of malt or BE3. I think it needs time to mature.  I think the next time I do it will be with an English ale yeast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermoor said:

I'm with Marty, I don't think it needs anything but a kilo of malt or BE3. I think it needs time to mature.  I think the next time I do it will be with an English ale yeast

Just did one with Nottingham, very clean and as far as aging I agree the last ones of a batch or keg are always the best  ... 

I have one bottled. Brewed with just a can of liquid malt and Nott's slurry. Had a tester after one week, the last bottle nearest the trub, which has carbed quickly. Shows the very different tastes people have for beer. Just not anywhere near enough going on here for me. It's got a mild English ale style taste, but no depth at all. Hardly surprising given this is as simple as KK gets.

I think the Real has potential as a base, but needs a lot more - either 1.5LDM, or an amber malt can and some molasses or brown sugar, and/or some hopping.

Edited by Lab Rat

Dry hopped a half batch yesterday - 1/2 RA can plus 500g LDM.  Did a 10 minute boil with 25g Vic Secret hops and a 20 minute steep with another 25g of Vic Secret.  Took a SG reading before the dry hop.  Tasted the sample before I added the dry hop and it tasted great. Made me question if it needed the dry hop.  Went with it anyway:  12 grams Vic Secret yesterday and planning 20g on Saturday. 

Shamus how do u go splitting the can in half equally? Do u just tip out about roughly half and have a guess?

I thought about using a real ale can as a base in 2 half size batches and try using different steeping grains in each.

I figured it tip the whole can into 6 litres of water and mix it up completely, then divide that liquid into 2 fermenters and add the other ingredients to each, then it'd be a true half n half. 

Hey @karlos_1984

The diagram below might help explain what I do.  When splitting I am usually making one standard recipe and one with some extras (hops, spices, grain steep, etc).  I do this firstly to taste what the basic recipes tastes like and secondly to taste and understand what the additions bring.

In the "pot" on the left I have 400g of LDM in 4L for my hop boil and steep.

In Fermenter 1 I dump the whole can, 200g of LDM and 10L of water (warm the can in hot water and rinse it out with hot water, stirring as I go as usual).

I then decant 5L from Fermenter 1 into Fermenter 2.  I am stirring the contents of F1 during the decanting so anything that might otherwise float to the bottom of F1 gets equally into each fermenter.

Next I add 400g of LDM to F2 and top up the water to 11.5L (half volume batch).  F2 now contains half a can and 500g LDM.  Add the yeast and off we go.

During the above steps I have been doing the hop boil, steep and cool.

I strain the 4L of hopped wort from the pot into F1, then top up the water to 11.5L.  F1 now contains half a can, 500g LDM and the hop additions.  Add the yeast and number 2 is off.

1501067615_SplitBatchDiagram.jpg.4982de9d7fb067f27161047882387460.jpg

I have done this a lot so far.  Some examples are:

• Light Morgan Draught / Light Morgan Draught with dry hop
  • Bootful O' Pav Pale Ale / Bootful O' Pav Pale Ale with Galaxy dry hop
  • Nut Brown Ale / Spicy Brunette
  • Unreal Ale / Real Galaxcade (Galaxy & Cascade boil steep and dry)
  • English Bitter / English Bitter w Red Earth hops boil steep and dry
  • Jitter Juice / Jitter Juice w Goldings hops boil steep and dry
  • Bootmaker Pale Ale / Moonboot Pale Ale (Bootmaker with Galaxy steep and dry)
  • Australian Pale Ale / Cascaded Pale Ale (Aust Pale with Cascade boil and steep)

Cheers Shamus

• Like 3

On 8/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lab Rat said:

Shows the very different tastes people have for beer. Just not anywhere near enough going on here for me. It's got a mild English ale style taste, but no depth at all. Hardly surprising given this is as simple as KK gets.

I think the Real has potential as a base, but needs a lot more - either 1.5LDM, or an amber malt can and some molasses or brown sugar, and/or some hopping.

As mentioned in the other thread...  my current RA brew tastes pretty full on malty to me!  If I use it again I wouldn't add anything more that's likely to increase the crystal-like maltiness but rather I'd just use the can as is with some other base malt -  light LME or even perhaps mash 2kg of pale malt grain, and then hop additions to taste and leave it at that.  😎  

Each to their own!