Coopers Community

Abbey Blonde Dilemma

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and to brewing. Have brewed a few batches, mainly K&K with some hops additions. Have encountered a problem for which I'd like some advice from the wise members of the forum.

Decided to give Abbey Blonde a go as I'm partial to that style and wanted to start trying the addition of grains. Followed the formula and everything went pretty well. Into FV 12 June: OG 1060, 1 packet each of T-58 and S-33 pitched at around 21deg with temp pretty much maintained from then on.

Fermentation started quickly and airlock went berserk for a few of days after which it slowed fairly suddenly. Activity seems to have stopped with SG stagnant on 1020 (OG predicted 1010-1014). Samples for my SG readings are very cloudy, but smell and taste delicious. 

My question is: do I cold crash +/- finings then bottle (haven't done that before so a good learning experience), or will i likely produce small hand grenades?

All comments gratefully accepted, thanks.

• Like 1

Hey mate. Can you check your hydrometer in 20c water and see what it reads. Two packs of yeasts should smash through that recipe. If it's under 1000 then add it onto your reading. If it's higher then take it off. I.e If it reads 996 then add on 4 points. If it reads 1004 take 4 off. 

As far as cold crashing and finings. Your call. Personally with Belgians which I make a fair few of I do a short cold crash and don't fine. Reason being it's a yeast driven beer. Some do though especially for the blondes.

Thanks, Greeny.

Yeah, checked the hydrometer and it's pretty much spot on. Also surprised all that yeast didn't munch all the fermentables PDQ.

Might give it another day or so and if no change then shove it in the fridge.

Good point about the finings, and I don't mind a bit of cloud in my beer. I'll see how the cold crash goes.

Perhaps allow the bottles to season right down at the end of the property.

Cheers