Coopers Community

english bitter fuggles and ekg

3 hours ago, worry wort said:

want to put down an english bitter but want to tweek it bit by adding a fuggles/ekg mix. First idea was a 15gm  of each x 15boil followed up by a 15gm  of each dry hop of both a few days in. Open to suggestions.

Weekend just passed I did the English Bitter with 10g EKG in a boil at 18 minutes, 12 minutes and 6 minutes. SG sample tasted terrific. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Weekend just passed I did the English Bitter with 10g EKG in a boil at 18 minutes, 12 minutes and 6 minutes. SG sample tasted terrific. 

thats promising, i have not used any of these ingredients before but thought the ekg and fuggles would work, but only in a small amount this time just in case.

I just put on the Yorkie square. Couldn't get Brambling X hops so went with EKG and fuggles, which are in the recipe anyway. Recipe said to boil 50g for 5, so that was the EKGs. Another 50 fuggles flameout steep, cos I couldn't be bothered dry hopping it. Sample tastes alright.

Edited by Lab Rat

On 6/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, Lab Rat said:

I just put on the Yorkie square. Couldn't get Brambling X hops so went with EKG and fuggles, which are in the recipe anyway. Recipe said to boil 50g for 5, so that was the EKGs. Another 50 fuggles flameout steep, cos I couldn't be bothered dry hopping it. Sample tastes alright.

Wow, that is a lot of hops for an English Bitter! They are supposed to be about the malt, aren't they?

https://byo.com/article/ordinary-bitter-style-profile/

Of course with home brewing, you can do anything you want. 

Cheers,

Christina.

42 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Wow, that is a lot of hops for an English Bitter! They are supposed to be about the malt, aren't they?

https://byo.com/article/ordinary-bitter-style-profile/

Of course with home brewing, you can do anything you want. 

Cheers,

Christina.

It's not a bitter, it's an English pale ale - very different to an EB and a Aus/US pale. I also followed he coopers recipe for a change, and that is their hop schedule. Bear in mind, there's 500g malt and 1.5kg of liquid malt extract in the recipe, so it's definitely about the malt. I think if the hops were any less, the malt would be far too sweet, so this bittering is for balance.

Had a taste of a SG sample, and it's not bitter at all - nothing dominates at the moment.

Edited by Lab Rat