Coopers Community

strange smell.....

worry wort

my last three brews have had an unusual aroma to them which I can't quite place, its neither pleasant nor unpleasant....just different..it sounds silly but if you are familiar with the smell of a chicken roasting in the oven, thats the first thing that came to mind.  Anyway, the only common factor is all 3 had used cascade hops, other hops used in different brews were citra, galaxy and styrian goldings, each used in 1 brew each in conjunction with the cascade. I've only been using hops for a short time, but this is the first time i've noticed this aroma. Taste is fine, but can't see myself drinking 32 bottles through a straw, so is cascade known to create unusual aroma? the other thing is i noticed is the underlying bitterness to each brew, not overwhelming, just there, is this also a cascade trait?

Was the cascade from the same packet each time? Or individual vacuum seal baggies? If individual, we they purchased at the same time? 

That might point to a possible cause... Anything in Your notes that might hint towards another cause? Temp etc

Good point, it was all from the same 100gm cryovac pack. I keep it in the fridge but that wouldnt account if its a dodgy crop. Thanx, i was on the brink of giving up on cascade.

I do keep notes on each brew and not a lot changes, temps usually close enough to assure successful brew as are sterilising etc, so im thinking its an ingredient issue.

Edited by worry wort