Coopers Community

Stout Inspiration

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, Ben 10 said:

Cheers mate. Kind words.

Benny are you going to take up the Challenge and design up and test brew a Ginger Nut Stout?

@GingerNuts81 has set the challenge... reckon you are our best hope to deliver.... do they grow Ginger up on the Tableland?

Cheers

BB

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Recipe: Ginger Nut Stout
Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Bottling Volume: 19.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 72.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          64.0 %        2.61 L        
0.75 kg          Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                            Grain         2          12.0 %        0.49 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         3          8.0 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          4.0 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC)          Grain         5          4.0 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         6          4.0 %         0.16 L        
35.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           7          33.9 IBUs     -             
0.25 kg          Lyle's Golden Syrup [Boil] (0.0 EBC)             Extract       8          4.0 %         0.18 L        
0.50 L           Ginger Juice (Boil)                              Spice         9          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         10         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, fresh from the garden

Beautiful.

Did you stew up 1/2 Litre of Ginger Solution or stick enough fresh Ginger through a juicer to generate 500ml of juice?

I've got a nice compression-screw juicer which I was thinking of using for Apple Cider till I worked out the cost of the apples... had hoped to buy juice in the Blueys last season but the fires put paid to that.

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

One of those hippie slow juicer things

BEN THAT IS PURE GOLD!?!  500ml of PURE UNADULTERATED FESTIVE HOME GROWN GINGER JUICE....

That Ginger Nut Stout is gunna be LEGENDARY!!!  Wow.  Beeeyooooodiful.

Have been thinking meself about a "Christmas Spices Stout" with classic German biscuit Christmas Spices/Gluewein spices: Cinnamon - Cloves - Nutmeg...

Was wondering tho how many cloves for a 19L brew... as Cloves can be fairly feisty.... was wondering whether you might have any experience/suggestions?

21 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I'd google pumpkin beer, the spice mix for that should suit, or Julebryg (there is one here somewhere)

Thanks mate.... this is interesting:

You could also crush cinnamon sticks and clove and soak that in vodka for a week or two to make a tincture. when the time comes take a small sample and dose that to taste and then scale up the preferred dose to the volume of beer put into the keg

23 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I'd google pumpkin beer, the spice mix for that should suit, or Julebryg (there is one here somewhere)

Funny - you have the range of 4 cloves is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much... to cannot taste a thing ha ha.  I reckon a maybe 7-dozen cloves in 19L cannot be too much.

Anyone any other ideas?

Just brewed AG Christmas Belgian Dubbel. Looked up a lot of info and recipes for various spiced ales cuz I’d never used these types of spices before. Paid attention to a lot of posts (like above) saying 5 cloves is overpowering, not too much nutmeg (most recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp/5gal). I used 4 whole cloves (cracked), 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg, zest from 4 oranges, 3 5” cinnamon sticks 5 cardamom pods(cracked) and 50g fresh ground ginger at 5 min boil and just finished fermentation... I cannot taste or smell ANY spices in the sample I took for FG! What the heck?! Tastes like a good, but regular, Belgian dubbel.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:24 PM, Beerlust said:

I don't think the Jatz Stout will take off.

As a side note, I have a little plan conjured up to make something hopefully resembling a "Turkish Delight" Porter or Stout down the track. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

I was just thinking of the same again the other night.

Did you ever do it?

Cheers!

Hi NewBrews. 🙂

35 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Hey Lusty,

I was just thinking of the same again the other night.

Did you ever do it?

Cheers!

It's still in the pipeline. One of the hops I used in that brew is not regularly available & not well known at all these days, so is hard to source.

When I stumbled upon this combo purely by accident it was in a light malted brew, so would probably need some tweaks in a darker beer like a stout to display as prominently, & to be honest, simply may not work in a beer like that. My gut feeling says it will though, so I will try it at some point.

The combination of hops was a freak chance, & not something I will be disclosing openly if in fact I can adapt them to the same effect in a stout.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...