Coopers Community

Scum ring and cleaning

karlos_1984

Just did a quick stove top boil up of some LDM and a quick hop schedule to add to a kit beer. It's the 19 ltr big W stainless pot and today was only its second time being used.

When I finished I rinsed it thoroughly under hot water and used a steel wool scourer thing to clean it. However there's still a noticeable scum ring from where the hot break was bubbling away. I can't seem to get rid of it. What else should I use to clean it with? The bottom is also starting to discolour as well. 

20190619_115509.jpg

Edited by karlos_1984

1 hour ago, ozlizard said:

The bottom of mine discolored after the first use! Given that they are cheap and therefore probably not top grade SS I wouldn't worry about it.

@karlos_1984 , dont worry about it. My 40L aluminium pot is very discolored after 20 or so batches. I just give it a quick sponge scour with cold water at my back tap. Then leave upside down in the shed to dry. Your boil pot does not need to be sanitary, just relatively clean.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It doesn't need to be sparkling but if you want it that way, dissolve a little citric acid in a couple of litres of water, boil it (this will remove the scale off the bottom), then when it cools down enough to touch, give the pot a scour with it. Rinse and dry.

You mentioned citric acid the other day and I have had a container of citric acid in the pantry for a few years never used it thought I would try it on my pot and do you think I can find it🤬 I would see it all the time prior to that🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 1