Coopers Community

Is it worth starting the kit stout for this winter?

drewbert

So basically what the title says. I want a stout so bad and at the pub near my old work had NOTHING in the way of stouts.

I got my redundancy notice today after 14 years at the place so kinda feeling like I need my dark brown warm blanket. 

Would and stout made now be good in the later parts of winter? Or best to have it sit for 6months, and subsequently doing it in summer for the following winter bet better in the long run?

• Sad 7

STOUT IS ALWAYS WORTH MAKING.

Also always worth drinking. 

9 minutes ago, drewbert said:

I got my redundancy notice today after 14 years at the place so kinda feeling like I need my dark brown warm blanket. 

Mate, I am sorry. Make the stout, make two and test a bottle every week until gone and let us know which is best,

Edited by PB2
expletive removed
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

As Ben and the captain said a stout is always worth making. 

Don't stress too much about the redundancy mate. One door closes another opens. What industry are you in? If you don't mind me asking.

I am/was a major incident manager in the wonderful world of IT

15 hours ago, drewbert said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And sound like I'm off to get some stout mix tomorrow

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

7896763_ExtraStoutBrewDay.thumb.JPG.b829275ec46cb8d85ed4bcea64b825f4.JPG

Perfect Day to put an Coopers Extra Stout in the plastic fantastic. Exactly what I am doing today too.

Plus one @PaddyBrew2, two weeks in the bottles carbing and you are good to go. Improves over time so leave a few for a few months down the track.

The positive is you have some Government funded time to do a few more brews while you wait for your next opportunity to come along. All best with your journey into Home Brewing. 

Cheers

Edited by YeastyBoy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

7896763_ExtraStoutBrewDay.thumb.JPG.b829275ec46cb8d85ed4bcea64b825f4.JPG

Perfect Day to put an Coopers Extra Stout in the plastic fantastic. Exactly what I am doing today too.

Plus one @PaddyBrew2, two weeks in the bottles carbing and you are good to go. Improves over time so leave a few for a few months down the track.

The positive is you have some Government funded time to do a few more brews while you wait for your next opportunity to come along. All best with your journey into Home Brewing. 

Cheers

There is a lot of malt compared to the "recommended' mix. What changes does one get from that?

1 minute ago, drewbert said:

There is a lot of malt compared to the "recommended' mix. What changes does one get from that?

You are spot on @drewbert. I will only use half of that (1KG) of the dark malt. Other half for the next Stout Brew. The LHBS gives a discount for larger bags so penny pinching I go large.

Also add 500g of dext with some steeped roasted barley, again a tad less that the whole packet shown.

Will drop out with an ABV around 6%. Extra Stout recipe that I really enjoy.

Trust yours is coming together?

Cheers

I've enjoyed stouts I've made early, but there's no substitute for ageing them. They really do improve over time. 

I'd make one anyway, it'll still be nice. Make one around September/October and age the bottles until next winter, it'll be really nice by then. I like stouts but mainly only in the colder months, so this is what I do. This year I'll be making one each stout and porter to age for next winter. 

Sorry to hear about your redundancy too. Hopefully you'll find something else soon. 

15 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

You are spot on @drewbert. I will only use half of that (1KG) of the dark malt. Other half for the next Stout Brew. The LHBS gives a discount for larger bags so penny pinching I go large.

Also add 500g of dext with some steeped roasted barley, again a tad less that the whole packet shown.

Will drop out with an ABV around 6%. Extra Stout recipe that I really enjoy.

Trust yours is coming together?

Cheers

I got the kit, the Cooper's kit sugar plus an extra kilo on malt sugar from big W. Plus some galaxy finishing hops for my Bavarian kit I have in waiting for summer

All in the boot of the car

• Like 1

The Coopers tucan plus 500g dark malt always makes a pretty good (and easy) stout.

Last time I made it I accidentally used real ale instead of dark ale can with stout and dark malt. I turned out pretty good so might do it like this intentionally next time.

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've enjoyed stouts I've made early, but there's no substitute for ageing them. They really do improve over time. 

I'd make one anyway, it'll still be nice. Make one around September/October and age the bottles until next winter, it'll be really nice by then. I like stouts but mainly only in the colder months, so this is what I do. This year I'll be making one each stout and porter to age for next winter. 

Sorry to hear about your redundancy too. Hopefully you'll find something else soon. 

Otto. Would you do say move to glass bottles for that length of bottle time?

Im late to the game this year, im putting my Coopers stout down on Saturday. Ill try to age some...but im prolly gonna drink em all by then end of winter, honestly! Bottling a Brown ale this weekend, so at least ill have some semi-winter warmers soon, even if it isnt a stout 😠

Have a home brew for every redundancy dollar 👍

20190618_160115.jpg

Edited by Zume Brew
Comment
  • Like 4

Have not gotten my cash dump for getting the arse yet. So this stout will need to be in pet. But it's in and I'm feeling happy. My last beer started off rough. So I was very pleased that good ol@King Ruddager 's videos helped. Especially with the mixing the malts and how to get the can sparkling clean.  

Wound up withwth the below recipe

• 1 can Cooper's stout
  • 1kg brew enhancer 3
  • 500g malt sugar
  • 10g kit yeast

Ended with 1041 OG... Kind feels low. Might take another sample (I used the second filling to get 1041)

Wort is as black as the ace of spades

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬

image.jpg

• Like 3

It is low but not by a lot. It'd be more around 1.045-46 if you brewed it to 23 litres. Either the ingredients weren't fully dissolved or the hydrometer is reading low. You can test it in water at 20 degrees, it should read 1.000. 

It will be fine in plastic bottles if you're drinking it soonish after bottling. Longer aged beers are better off in glass though. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It is low but not by a lot. It'd be more around 1.045-46 if you brewed it to 23 litres. 

It will be fine in plastic bottles if you're drinking it soonish after bottling. Longer aged beers are better off in glass though. 

I tested my hydrometer in tap water and it read 0995

。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。

Off to buy a new one I guess. But that seems in line with your estimates. 

I'm planning to glad bottle a stout in Sept/Oct like you mentioned. And plan on glass bottling that. That is the one to age like a boss

Edited by drewbert

35 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I love my stout, I have tried lots of different things like swapping the sugar to brown sugar also I have waited for fermentation to be just about done then added a cheap bottle of port to it, one of my favs.

Interesting. How'd the one with the port turn out?

I made a toucan stout in February to have for this winter. I set aside a dozen Long necks and only primed with one carb drop to age for 12 months. The rest I kept for this winter. Just grabbed one to have with lunch on this cold home brew Wednesday. I've only got 5 stubbies and 1 long neck left to last me until the end of this winter. Enjoying it way too much...

• Like 1