Coopers Community

Citra hop help

depends how strong you want the hop but I would not boil as that is more for bittering  ... I prefer a 30 minute FO to do a hop tea in around 1-2 litres of  25 to 30g of citra to give aroma and flavour then if you want to boost it dry hop same amount on day 3 or 4 of the ferment for flavour  ...  i know that the brains trust will either correct that or add other options but that is too my taste ... I use a coffee plunger to seperate the hops from the tea. just fill with the tea and plunger then pour into the wort and stir I usually do it before I add the cold water to the mix.  

Thanks for info , i have made it the way you say, but with out the dry hopping (good idea)and it turned out lovely when young , but after a few months the flavour depleted , this may be the kind of beer it is , so boiling will just make bitter and no flavour

Hops in beers degrade. Firstly aroma, then flavour, then bitterness.

It takes a while for the bitterness to deplete but aroma will be gone in a few months. depending on how much hops used.

Alpha Acids will isomerise in beer above 80c. Below that it will release flavour/aroma only.  Boiling temps draw out the acids quicker, the cooler it gets the slower they are released.

Does that make sense?

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah I’d agree with Marty however when doing a hop tea, id still do it with wort. 

If you have a 2l plunger I’d add 200g of lme to that water, add the hops when the wort is just under 80c. Wait for 15 mins before adding to FV. 

I do something similar, I do the Wort and LMD on the stove but do the tea separately  then add to the wort give it a stir then put in FV ....  was just keeping it simple...

• Like 1

Depends how bitter you want it too. That kit isn't highly bittered so a short boil could help. Maybe 10 minutes or so but probably not any longer. That will add bitterness but it won't be over the top; short boil bitterness doesn't have the same bite to it as longer boiled.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1