Coopers Community

Toucan Dark Ale + Lager + BE3

2 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Hi everyone,

I’m doing a Toucan with Dark Ale and Lager plus 1kg BE3 - just wondering if I should dissolve the BE3 in boiling water or just bung everything in the FV and stir it up?

Cheers, Gaz.

Hi Gaz

I usually pop the dry ingredients into the fermenter.  Then I add 1-1.5L of boiling (or at least very hot) water.  Fit the lid.  Pick up the fermenter.  Give it a swirl for 30 seconds or so until the dry stuff (BE3 and or Light Dry Malt) is dissolved.

I find this method really good with LDM because it can clump and be hard to dissolve if you just use a stir method.  The BE's seem to dissolve pretty well with just a stir though.

Then I add the contents of the can(s) (having left the can sitting in hot tap water for 15 minutes for the goo to soften up).  Give this liquid a good stir.

Put some boiling/really hot water into the empty can and pop the lid back on.  I leave this to stand for 10 minutes to get all of the leftover goo off the sides of the can.  Using gloves or a multi folded tea towel, I pick up the can and tip this liquid into the fermenter.

More stirring.

Usually top up the fermenter with pre-cooled (over-night) water from the fridge.  Check temperature when nearly full and adjust with hot or more cold water to yeast pitching temperature.

You probably do most of the above stuff or a variation yourself.  Just letting you know what I do.

Good luck with this brew.  It sounds like a beauty.  I hope to do the SMOTY Ale recipe, which is quite similar, soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This enquiry got my attention because I haven't done a toucan before. So it's OK to cross breed? ie. ale can be mixed with lager.
Could a dark ale be mixed with pale ale? Or does that just sound stupid. It does to me but I have some pale ale I want to use but I'm not that fond of pale ale in it's prescribed recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wondered the same actually Muzzy as I had a can of pale ale - but I’ve seen a few dark ale + lager recommendations on the forum so I went with that. Would be good to know about the pale though for next time.

• Like 2

Shamus should get the thanks for the research!

Let me know how it goes - it’s on my list but there are a few in front of it!

Why is it that the list just grows? The more beers I brew, the more beers get added to the list... 😁

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Shamus should get the thanks for the research!

Let me know how it goes - it’s on my list but there are a few in front of it!

Why is it that the list just grows? The more beers I brew, the more beers get added to the list... 😁

Thanks Shamus. Another of the many helpful folks on here.

• Like 2

I just put down a smoty ale last week! Was very bitter initially from my hydrometer test but I read that it dissipates. Looking forward to trying it in a couple of weeks

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

With a Toucan I have found dissolving the can contents on the cook top in a few litres of water best ...  usually at around 70 degree, I dissolve the malt and then the cans before putting in the FV adding the water ... this helps with mixing the brew and getting an accurate OG ...  I have found that doing it in the FV does not get the solution mixed thoroughly and the OG readings are not accurate .... actually i now do it with all my extract/can brews ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I do too, dissolving in my 9.5 litre pot on the stove, after any steep / boil. I don't usually bother with an OG reading though, will calculate for any liquid / malt additions and take a separate pre / post boil reading from any partial mash then combine and factor dilution. 

Cheers, 

John 

7 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I don't usually bother with an OG reading though

I find OG invaluable  ... I use yeast from my yeast bank and the OG lets me know that fermentation has started when it drops as I have ditched the air lock as they are unreliable ... 

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2019 at 3:11 PM, Gazzala said:

Hi everyone,

I’m doing a Toucan with Dark Ale and Lager plus 1kg BE3 - just wondering if I should dissolve the BE3 in boiling water or just bung everything in the FV and stir it up?

Cheers, Gaz.

Hi Gaz. (I'm hoping you're still about the place)
I'm thinking of doing a Toucan of Dark Ale and Euro Lager but unsure of which yeast to use, the ale yeast or the lager yeast or both. What did you use for yours? Were you happy with the outcome?

• Like 1

Hi Muzzy,

It was a while ago so I can't remember it too well but I think I used both yeast packets. I do remember it turned out very nice, easy drinking even though it was very strong - about 6.8%  I think...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gazzala said:

Hi Muzzy,

It was a while ago so I can't remember it too well but I think I used both yeast packets. I do remember it turned out very nice, easy drinking even though it was very strong - about 6.8%  I think...

Thanks for the reply, Gaz.
Was your lager the Original Series Lager or European Lager? It makes a difference because the OS version has an ale yeast included, whereas the Euro one has a lager yeast. I have plenty of ale yeast on hand but not lager yeast.
I'll probably reduce the BE3 also to make it more sessionable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:52 AM, MUZZY said:

Thanks for the reply, Gaz.
Was your lager the Original Series Lager or European Lager? It makes a difference because the OS version has an ale yeast included, whereas the Euro one has a lager yeast. I have plenty of ale yeast on hand but not lager yeast.
I'll probably reduce the BE3 also to make it more sessionable.

In the absence of a reply from Gaz, who may have missed my enquiry, I'm in the process of making a yeast starter from the sediment of a few Euro Lager bottles.
My plan is to combine 1.7kg Dark Ale + 1.7kg Euro Lager, using the Euro Lager yeast starter.
I'll also add 25g of cold steeped Cluster hops prior to pitching yeast. No particular reason for using Cluster apart from they're in my freezer in an already opened pack, whereas all my other hops are still sealed.
I haven't been able to work out how to use the IanH spreadsheet in the past. If anyone reading this could give me a rough idea of what my ABV might be I'd appreciate it. To reiterate, it's going to be 2 x 1.7kg tins made to 23 litres. No other adjuncts intended. Does it need BE3 or LDM? I do have some on hand.

@MUZZY I do believe the 2× 1.7kg tins come out about 5% or just over before bottle priming. I never get the efficiency that is stated but depends on how strong you want or how long aging etc. I reckon at least chuck in half a kilo of something if only meant to have few here and there.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@MUZZY I do believe the 2× 1.7kg tins come out about 5% or just over before bottle priming. I never get the efficiency that is stated but depends on how strong you want or how long aging etc. I reckon at least chuck in half a kilo of something if only meant to have few here and there.

Thanks Jamie.  5% or even lower would actually suit me better than a higher ABV. I'm not the type to just have one or two beers usually. (*Consume responsibly)  😄 

• Like 1

what your planning just looks like a smotty ale type beer obviously with lager yeast and apparently that comes out 5% or so. Yes I agree I have decided to make 5% or under from now on maby accosional strong one for bottle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

what your planning just looks like a smotty ale type beer obviously with lager yeast and apparently that comes out 5% or so. Yes I agree I have decided to make 5% or under from now on maby accosional strong one for bottle.

I've made the SMOTY Ale previously. I won't be disappointed if this one turns out similar. It was a good beer.

9 hours ago, MUZZY said:

In the absence of a reply from Gaz, who may have missed my enquiry, I'm in the process of making a yeast starter from the sediment of a few Euro Lager bottles.
My plan is to combine 1.7kg Dark Ale + 1.7kg Euro Lager, using the Euro Lager yeast starter.
I'll also add 25g of cold steeped Cluster hops prior to pitching yeast. No particular reason for using Cluster apart from they're in my freezer in an already opened pack, whereas all my other hops are still sealed.
I haven't been able to work out how to use the IanH spreadsheet in the past. If anyone reading this could give me a rough idea of what my ABV might be I'd appreciate it. To reiterate, it's going to be 2 x 1.7kg tins made to 23 litres. No other adjuncts intended. Does it need BE3 or LDM? I do have some on hand.

Hi Muzz, I get 4.5% before bottle priming (4.9% after).  This sounds like a really nice beer.  Dark Lager, yum.  Cluster hops are a good choice.  They are in a lager recipe I am doing soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boot Straps said:

@MUZZY SMOTY being???

2 can brew aus pale ale and dark ale tin to 23 litres with both yeast I think. Shortest month of the year brew in Feb and drink winter or something. One of recepies on coopers page.

Yes @Shamus O'Sean @MUZZY looks yum I've been thinking of doing a dark lager for a while but wasn't sure how to approach it I think the 2 can with proper lager yeast is a good way to go.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 3